Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 202
Registered: ‎02-20-2013
0

Best utility before spree.

Currently have balance as such

 

AMEX 1630/2000 81% util (balance was lower but made purchases since)

Jcrew 32/700 4% util

Discover 800/2000 40% util

all other cards 0 balance

total balances 2461/15000             16% util

 

Have 1350 to spend and was goign to go on a spree after amex statement updates.

 

I'm going to pay off jcrew before statement comes out. It hasn't reported since last july, and I just used to to show some activity. Will it still report if there is no balance but there was a puchase + a payment? Not sure on that.

 

Jcrew paid of completely either way, but In terms of utility which would be better:

Paying 211 on discover and 1107 on amex, bring both utility <30%, or paying $800 on discover and $518 on amex giving me 56% util on amex but only one card reporting. Both those cards are 0% APR so interest is not a concern.


Regular Contributor
Posts: 202
Registered: ‎02-20-2013
0

Re: Best utility before spree.

Additonal question.

 

Going to open 3 new cards, 1 being amex. Amex was going to be first, but also plan to as for CLI on my current amex. Would doing the CLI before applying to card, have any effect on them willing to give me a new card intenrally? I know it won't have any immediate inpact on Fico. 


Epic Contributor
Posts: 25,587
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Best utility before spree.

What Amex do you want to apply for?

I would CLI first, then apply

What are the other 2 cards you want to apply for?

 

What was Amex last statement balance? maybe good to apply for everything now before the new balance reports

Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 710 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
95 Cards and Counting Smiley Tongue
Regular Contributor
Posts: 202
Registered: ‎02-20-2013
0

Re: Best utility before spree.

[ Edited ]

Creditaddict wrote:

What Amex do you want to apply for?

I would CLI first, then apply

What are the other 2 cards you want to apply for?

 

What was Amex last statement balance? maybe good to apply for everything now before the new balance reports


I want to apply for Everyday.

Balance was ~1400 last statement. Next reported balance will be lower than current balance and statement balance, so want to apply when its lower. Also when Discover updates lower as well. 

 

One of other cards will be salliemae, 3rd one i'm not sure yet, but will be ONE of US Bank Cash+, Chase Freedom, CapOne QS, and Best Buy MC.


Epic Contributor
Posts: 25,587
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Best utility before spree.


VirusCredit13 wrote:

Creditaddict wrote:

What Amex do you want to apply for?

I would CLI first, then apply

What are the other 2 cards you want to apply for?

 

What was Amex last statement balance? maybe good to apply for everything now before the new balance reports


I want to apply for Everyday.

Balance was ~1400 last statement. Next reported balance will be lower than current balance and statement balance, so want to apply when its lower. Also when Discover updates lower as well. 

 

One of other cards will be salliemae, 3rd one i'm not sure yet, but will be ONE of US Bank Cash+, Chase Freedom, CapOne QS, and Best Buy MC.


so you have the payment and reporting in mind so once that happens:

1. I would CLI current Amex

2. Apply for new Amex

3. Apply for Sallie Mae

4. Apply for Chase Freedom

5. Apply for QS or if you shop at Best Buy then them instead of QS or both for that matter but do which ever you want more first.

Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 710 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
95 Cards and Counting Smiley Tongue
Regular Contributor
Posts: 202
Registered: ‎02-20-2013
0

Re: Best utility before spree.


Creditaddict wrote:

VirusCredit13 wrote:

Creditaddict wrote:

What Amex do you want to apply for?

I would CLI first, then apply

What are the other 2 cards you want to apply for?

 

What was Amex last statement balance? maybe good to apply for everything now before the new balance reports


I want to apply for Everyday.

Balance was ~1400 last statement. Next reported balance will be lower than current balance and statement balance, so want to apply when its lower. Also when Discover updates lower as well. 

 

One of other cards will be salliemae, 3rd one i'm not sure yet, but will be ONE of US Bank Cash+, Chase Freedom, CapOne QS, and Best Buy MC.


so you have the payment and reporting in mind so once that happens:

1. I would CLI current Amex

2. Apply for new Amex

3. Apply for Sallie Mae

4. Apply for Chase Freedom

5. Apply for QS or if you shop at Best Buy then them instead of QS or both for that matter but do which ever you want more first.


Okay thanks for CLI first decision, was thinking that was better was not sure.

 

Any opinion on on how I should do payments? Basically is 2 cards reporting both <30% utl better or only one card reporting but ~50% util. Total util <7% in both scenarios.


Highlighted
Epic Contributor
Posts: 25,587
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Best utility before spree.


VirusCredit13 wrote:

Creditaddict wrote:

VirusCredit13 wrote:

Creditaddict wrote:

What Amex do you want to apply for?

I would CLI first, then apply

What are the other 2 cards you want to apply for?

 

What was Amex last statement balance? maybe good to apply for everything now before the new balance reports


I want to apply for Everyday.

Balance was ~1400 last statement. Next reported balance will be lower than current balance and statement balance, so want to apply when its lower. Also when Discover updates lower as well. 

 

One of other cards will be salliemae, 3rd one i'm not sure yet, but will be ONE of US Bank Cash+, Chase Freedom, CapOne QS, and Best Buy MC.


so you have the payment and reporting in mind so once that happens:

1. I would CLI current Amex

2. Apply for new Amex

3. Apply for Sallie Mae

4. Apply for Chase Freedom

5. Apply for QS or if you shop at Best Buy then them instead of QS or both for that matter but do which ever you want more first.


Okay thanks for CLI first decision, was thinking that was better was not sure.

 

Any opinion on on how I should do payments? Basically is 2 cards reporting both <30% utl better or only one card reporting but ~50% util. Total util <7% in both scenarios.


since you are CLI amex and applying for 2nd amex I would much rather have 1 card that is not amex report 50% and have amex report paid off.

Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 710 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
95 Cards and Counting Smiley Tongue
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.