Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to Churn AMEX Gold Premier Rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to Churn AMEX Gold Premier Rewards

I am planning to apply for an AMEX PRG and wish to make it my primary card for a long time. I currently have a Chase Sapphire Preferred which I would like to PC to a Freedom UL and keep it revolving with an auto payment. However, the $195 Annual Fee seems a bit much to me. I have read that people use the $100 airline credit for airline gift cards. I live close to a Delta hub but American Airline flights are usually cheaper for me from here. If I can turn that $100 airline credit into cash, that would be awesome. If not, I'd like a way to get the most bang for my buck. I am not a heavy drinker on flights so I probably wouldn't spend the $100 credit on food or drink. This card looks awesome and I would like to make it my go to main card.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best way to Churn AMEX Gold Premier Rewards

You can buy delta gift cards, which can then be used towards ticket purchases.

That's what I'm planning on doing for platinum and prg.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use the $100 airline credit towards checked bags and food too, just so you know. Something I don't understand about AMEX's fine print, is why they won't cover in flight wifi towards the $100 credit. 

Also, if you book a hotel through AMEX's website, you get a hotel rom upgrade and a $75 credit per stay. 

Plus you can throw your AAA membership out, since they pay for your roadside assistance up to four times per year. 

Message 3 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

With once per lifetime bonus with AmEX there's no way to churn.

@Anonymous wrote:

I am planning to apply for an AMEX PRG and wish to make it my primary card for a long time. I currently have a Chase Sapphire Preferred which I would like to PC to a Freedom UL and keep it revolving with an auto payment. However, the $195 Annual Fee seems a bit much to me.

Then why would you want to make it your primary card?  You're putting the cart before the horse.  Use your needs/wants to find cards that suit you.  Don't select a card and then try to justify it.

Do you really have enough spend to spread among both the MR and UR awards programs?  Have you acutally crunched the numbers for your spend all the way from earn to redemption to determine what rewards you can get and what value per point you can get?  This should all be part of your due diligence before applying.

@Anonymous wrote:

I have read that people use the $100 airline credit for airline gift cards. I live close to a Delta hub but American Airline flights are usually cheaper for me from here. If I can turn that $100 airline credit into cash, that would be awesome.

There are threads here as well as FlyerTalk.  I'd recommend the latter as there is a thread for each airline regarding the fee credit.  You don't need to read the entire thread in each case as they tend to have hundreds of posts.  Just check the wiki at the top of each thread relevant to you and read the latest posts to see what recent experiences have been like with making use of the credit.

Message 4 of 10
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

I believe the WiFi is from Boingo, NOT Delta.. thats probably why

@Anonymous wrote:

You can use the $100 airline credit towards checked bags and food too, just so you know. Something I don't understand about AMEX's fine print, is why they won't cover in flight wifi towards the $100 credit. 

Also, if you book a hotel through AMEX's website, you get a hotel rom upgrade and a $75 credit per stay. 

Plus you can throw your AAA membership out, since they pay for your roadside assistance up to four times per year. 

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the $195 annual fee is too much for you, then don't go for it. For example, I got the Delta card, not because it has a lower annual fee but because I'll use the Delta benefits but not the ones on the PRG.

Message 6 of 10
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is not 100% true. It's a YMMV. A lot of the times they will ask for proof of receipt, especially for new account holders.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DrZoidberg wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is not 100% true. It's a YMMV. A lot of the times they will ask for proof of receipt, especially for new account holders.

Proof of receipt from buying the gift cards online from Delta?

Message 8 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DrZoidberg wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I assume DrZoidberg means that you may be asked for proof of receipt for an officially allowed purchase (and gift cards aren't).   So while many people do get away with buying them, if they ask you might not get the reimbursement.

But not sure that is very widespread

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DrZoidberg wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I assume DrZoidberg means that you may be asked for proof of receipt for an officially allowed purchase (and gift cards aren't).   So while many people do get away with buying them, if they ask you might not get the reimbursement.

But not sure that is very widespread

I'm sure that it isn't

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.