Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to app for cards?

tag
jd352
Regular Contributor

Re: Best way to app for cards?

The CSP is a guaranteed limit of $5000. The Freedom limit could also be $5,000, it all depends on what Chase's internal metrics tell it to give you. 

I app'd for the Freedom 2 years ago and got a measly 2k limit. I have since got it raised. I app'd for the CSP with a prequal offer on my Chase account page and got $15.2k. Have your other limits reported to your reports yet? In my experience, Chase just doesn't hand out a high limit. Rather, they come in just below your highest CL. At the time I app'd for my Freedom, my highest CL was what my Amex Zync showed as the balance that month, which was about $2,500. When I app'd for my CSP, my highest CL was $20k and got the $15.2k limit.

Generally, getting the Freedom will open you up to pre-qual's better. After I got my Freedom I received all kinds of pre-quals from Chase (United, CSP, Slate etc). Not that I havn't seen students get the CSP, but you will need to let those higher limits report before app'ing for it. However, it's easy to see that your current CL's are close to your annual income which may be a factor when Chase issues you your CL.

Why do you need the higher CL first? If it is to reduce utilization, that will also factor into your approval (debt to income).

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 11 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jps wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jps wrote:

I checked and no prequal

@Creditaddict wrote:

have you checked the chase pre-qual and see if you have any offers their?

I would apply for Freedom and then CSP right after back to back if you don't have any offers and are just cold applying. (chance it might end up as 1 pull)

okay, then apply for freedom and see what you get... go Smiley Tongue

I dont make decisions that quick LOL normally I go to the site 4 times fill it out and leave before I actually submit so two in one day back to back would be too much to handle. Do you really think that they would approve that with such a low income and two new accounts?

since you have the Amazon, your Chase internal score is probably actually better and as long as your util. is low then I don't think your income would be an issue at all but with lower income the bonus spend might be hard to meet on the csp so maybe just freedom would be best for you for now.

Message 12 of 18
jd352
Regular Contributor

I also forgot to ask, can you comfortably spend (and payoff) $3k in 3 months to get your CSP bonus points? If you cannot, then I would definitely wait to app until you can take advantage of a bonus offer and just go for the Freedom for now.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Message 13 of 18
jps

@jd352 wrote:

The CSP is a guaranteed limit of $5000. The Freedom limit could also be $5,000, it all depends on what Chase's internal metrics tell it to give you. 

I app'd for the Freedom 2 years ago and got a measly 2k limit. I have since got it raised. I app'd for the CSP with a prequal offer on my Chase account page and got $15.2k. Have your other limits reported to your reports yet? In my experience, Chase just doesn't hand out a high limit. Rather, they come in just below your highest CL. At the time I app'd for my Freedom, my highest CL was what my Amex Zync showed as the balance that month, which was about $2,500. When I app'd for my CSP, my highest CL was $20k and got the $15.2k limit.

Generally, getting the Freedom will open you up to pre-qual's better. After I got my Freedom I received all kinds of pre-quals from Chase (United, CSP, Slate etc). Not that I havn't seen students get the CSP, but you will need to let those higher limits report before app'ing for it. However, it's easy to see that your current CL's are close to your annual income which may be a factor when Chase issues you your CL.

Why do you need the higher CL first? If it is to reduce utilization, that will also factor into your approval (debt to income).

Yes they have reported as they are over 30 days old now. I dont need the higher CL i just figured that should be higher becuase of the 5000 minimum thats all and the freedom does not have a minimum

Credit Union MC - $1500 / Discover IT - $2200 / Citi TYP- $3000 / BestBuy Store - $1400 / Amazon Visa- $1800
Amex Hilton Surpass- $9000 / Barclay Arrival+ WEMC - $5,000 / Chase CSP - $5,800
Citi Hilton- $13,500 (AU) / Sears MC (AU) / Exxon Mobil (AU)
Message 14 of 18
jps

My util is currently 3%

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jps wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jps wrote:

I checked and no prequal

@Creditaddict wrote:

have you checked the chase pre-qual and see if you have any offers their?

I would apply for Freedom and then CSP right after back to back if you don't have any offers and are just cold applying. (chance it might end up as 1 pull)

okay, then apply for freedom and see what you get... go Smiley Tongue

I dont make decisions that quick LOL normally I go to the site 4 times fill it out and leave before I actually submit so two in one day back to back would be too much to handle. Do you really think that they would approve that with such a low income and two new accounts?

since you have the Amazon, your Chase internal score is probably actually better and as long as your util. is low then I don't think your income would be an issue at all but with lower income the bonus spend might be hard to meet on the csp so maybe just freedom would be best for you for now.

Credit Union MC - $1500 / Discover IT - $2200 / Citi TYP- $3000 / BestBuy Store - $1400 / Amazon Visa- $1800
Amex Hilton Surpass- $9000 / Barclay Arrival+ WEMC - $5,000 / Chase CSP - $5,800
Message 15 of 18
jps

Yes i can my tuition bill that i have now is 3000 and i can pay that by CC with out a fee and that will be PIF

Message 16 of 18
jd352
Regular Contributor

I would say you have a shot possibly for both. Remember, it will be 2 HP's most likely on 2 different reports (4 HP's total). Chase always pulls 2 reports for me, TU and EX. You, ideally, would want to app for the CSP first since that is what you really want. If you get denied, recon. If you still get denied, Chase isn't ready to give you more credit and wait it out a bit. Try the Freedom in 6 months. If you get approved for the CSP, app for the Freedom right afterwards. If the CSP is an instant approval, don't be surprised if the Freedom is not instant. You may need to call in and give them info.

Message 17 of 18
jps

@jd352 wrote:

I would say you have a shot possibly for both. Remember, it will be 2 HP's most likely on 2 different reports (4 HP's total). Chase always pulls 2 reports for me, TU and EX. You, ideally, would want to app for the CSP first since that is what you really want. If you get denied, recon. If you still get denied, Chase isn't ready to give you more credit and wait it out a bit. Try the Freedom in 6 months. If you get approved for the CSP, app for the Freedom right afterwards. If the CSP is an instant approval, don't be surprised if the Freedom is not instant. You may need to call in and give them info.

Thank you that is good advice and I will give that a shot. I appreciate it. 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.