cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to close First Premier Secured card?

tag
mrcrisp023
Frequent Contributor

Best way to close First Premier Secured card?

I've actually never intentionally (lol) closed any credit card, let alone a secured card, let alone First Premier, which I've heard is nasty when you try to close their card.  Any suggestions on the best way to close it?  Online or via phone?  Since I put a deposit down of $99, do I just pay it down to that amount and let them eat the rest, or pay it all the way down then let them refund me the deposit?

Any insight is much appreciated.  Thanks.

Capital One SavorOne: $3000 / Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $500 / Mission Lane: $1500 / Merrick: $2000 / CreditOne Amex: $850

Starting 09/2022 MyFico 08: EQ 648 / TU 659 / EX 644
Current MyFico 08: EQ 665 / TU 670 / EX 670

2024 EOY Goal: 750
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Re: Best way to close First Premier Secured card?

Well, I'm sure the deposit doesn't work like that. Pay the card down to $0 and they will refund your deposit. 

Most card issuers require you to call in and yes, they will probably try to talk you in to keeping it. Just stand firm. 

I was able to cancel a Comenity card via automated system so hopefully that's an option for you.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband has one. I'm under the impression that the so called "deposit" isn't refundable. It was more about set up fee. If you find out otherwise, please let us know. We're closing his very soon now that he has 6 AU accounts under me.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check this out. There could be different cards though. This is what Hubby has.Screenshot_20160425-083154.png

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a suggestion regarding how to handle the situation........

85.jpeg

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

and in the event that the former suggestion fails to solve the situation....

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 11.41.00 AM.png

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a suggestion regarding how to handle the situation........

85.jpeg

NO!!!
Use ACID or FIRE. LOL!!
Message 7 of 10
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Pay to zero balance, call them, be polite but firm and then destroy card by any means possible and enjoy your credit. And don't expect that $99 back its more than likely a non refundable fee not a deposit.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't have any issues when I closed my 2 First Premiere cards. They offered me "free" credit limit increases on both my cards and to waive the annual fee, which I declined. Nobody was nasty about it and they are actually supposed to be sending me a refund of the annual fee that I paid on one of my cards about 2 weeks before closing it. Still waiting. I closed the account 2 months ago. :-/ I should probably call them actually. 

Message 9 of 10
mrcrisp023
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone. Im going to pay the balance down to 0 tomorrow, then call then right after and close it, then throw that card in my fire pit. I am thankful for the card, since it helped me rebuild and go from 2 secured cards to 5 unsecured prime cards in under a year.
Capital One SavorOne: $3000 / Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $500 / Mission Lane: $1500 / Merrick: $2000 / CreditOne Amex: $850

Starting 09/2022 MyFico 08: EQ 648 / TU 659 / EX 644
Current MyFico 08: EQ 665 / TU 670 / EX 670

2024 EOY Goal: 750
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.