Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to close chase card

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Best way to close chase card

I need to close my chase marriott card. I was thinking about sending a secure message to close it. It only has the min 5k credit line. Can I ask them to move that credit line over to my freedom since I am closing the card?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best way to close chase card

Yes, you can request an account consolidation, but the Marriot will need to have 30 days of innactivity in order to transfer the entire limit over to your freedom. If that is not the case, and you can't wait i.e annual fee is coming up, you can move all but $500 over to your freedom and close out the Marriot. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Secure message is absolutely easiest way.  You be done it 3-4 times in last couple of years.  Refer to the account you wish to close as well as account you want to transfer credit to by last 4 digits of the card.  Ask that they do the transfer of credit first and then close the Marriott account.  They will respond quickly.  Verify the information they send and reply with approve.  If you have had a balance on the Marriot card within 30 days they will only allow $4500 to be transferred, if no balance they should transfer the full 5k

Message 3 of 5
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

You can call and have it done instantly, it's what I did last year. Even got to move the whole limit and not lose $500.
Message 4 of 5
red259
Super Contributor

They will only move $3915 of the 5k credit line over. Chase is starting to really piss me off with this nonsense. The only charge to the account is the AF and that is it. No other recent activity on the card account. Still its better than not being allowed to move anything and I have no reason to eat the AF again on this card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.