Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to earn CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to earn CLI

Ok, i'm been wondering what banks like to see to approve a CLI.  Is it usage, carry a small balance, PIF?? What is the best way. If its usage, should i sock the ole check card and use the credit card for everyday things?  I'm hoping to increase my BOA Amex.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best way to earn CLI

I vote for usage.  but many on here say use it as high as you can and pay all but 5-9% of balance before statement close so the bank sees high usage but credit report doesn't.
Message 2 of 14
kbell
New Contributor

I agree on the usage and good payment history, but I don't think you need to leave 5-9%. Avoid finance charges if you can. I had 0% when I called Citi to have them increase my cl from 6,300 to 20,000.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usage and pay in full_
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

How soon is too soon to ask for another CLI after you receive one. I was granted $500 mid november, is it too soon to ask for another now. Is that a red flag?? Or is that enough time? 
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't speak for most cc's, and it depends on what ccc you are going to ask.

But with HSBC, it's only every 6 months. Some a year. Like I say, it depends on the ccc.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank Of America
Message 7 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

It depends on the CCC. Here's my personal experience:

Amex: PIF or revolve small balances and make large timely payments = CLI
CITI: similar to Amex but to a lesser extent
FIA: high usage and using BTs will net CLIs
Chase: it's a mixed bag, sort of like a CCC with multiple personalities
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anybody have insight on the BOA CLI? Whats the formula Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@kbell wrote:
I agree on the usage and good payment history, but I don't think you need to leave 5-9%. Avoid finance charges if you can.

I'm assuming Creditaddict is referring to allowing 1-9% to report to the CRA's and then paying before the due date, thus avoiding finance charges.

It's always fun trying to please both the CCC (putting lots of charges on the card) and the FICO scoring gods (allowing under 10% to report.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.