Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to get Citi Dividend World Elite Mastercard

tag
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Best way to get Citi Dividend World Elite Mastercard

My goal this year is to get a World Elite Mastercard. I've read that the Citi Dividend Platinum Select is the best option as far as benefits to fees ratio. I've search high and low and only found discussions on converting existing Citi Dividend Mastercards and World Mastercards to the World Elite Mastercard version. I couldn't find any info on applying directly for the World Elite Mastercard versionI have a couple questions regarding this card. On Citi's website, I can only find this card in the Visa version. I did find an application through Google where it's for the Mastercard version(even says in the terms and conditions on the application page). If I were to apply through the application found on Google, would I be getting the Mastercard version? Also, is there a way to just straight up apply for the World Elite Mastercard version? I'd like to save the trouble of going from MC/WMC to WEMC if I can. Does this card still have lounge access? This would be the most important benefit. Is this card still offered with EMV? Thanks all!
AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
eviLution
Established Contributor

Re: Best way to get Citi Dividend World Elite Mastercard

I read that you need to have 2+ years of on time payments with their regular world MasterCard and they will consider you for the elite version.

Someone correct me if I'm in the wrong.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 2 of 23
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Sorry for the lack of paragraph. I'm on my tablet and it didn't format the way I had originally written and I can't edit...will edit soon!
AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 3 of 23
L-TWT
Established Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:
My goal this year is to get a World Elite Mastercard. I've read that the Citi Dividend Platinum Select is the best option as far as benefits to fees ratio. I've search high and low and only found discussions on converting existing Citi Dividend Mastercards and World Mastercards to the World Elite Mastercard version. I couldn't find any info on applying directly for the World Elite Mastercard versionI have a couple questions regarding this card. On Citi's website, I can only find this card in the Visa version. I did find an application through Google where it's for the Mastercard version(even says in the terms and conditions on the application page). If I were to apply through the application found on Google, would I be getting the Mastercard version? Also, is there a way to just straight up apply for the World Elite Mastercard version? I'd like to save the trouble of going from MC/WMC to WEMC if I can. Does this card still have lounge access? This would be the most important benefit. Is this card still offered with EMV? Thanks all!

By the looks of your Signature/CC portfolio, you currently do not have a Dividend card. If that is so, there is no way to directly apply for the WE MC version, B/C Citi is only offering Visa/Visa Signature to new card members. And regarding lounge access, yes it is still offered; but not "Priority Pass Select". In late 2011 to early 2012 they switched to "Lounge First" airport loung access which IMO SUCKS! Lastly, EMV (i.e, Global Chip) is currently offered on all Citi cards, expect AMEX products.

Message 4 of 23
tray
Valued Contributor

There are older threads pertaining to this topic on this forum, but from what I have read you cannot outright ask for it, citi has to offer it to you, even for me I  have the citi dividended mastercard with a 10,500 limit and I personally at one time ask citi is I could upgrade to the world elite and I was told I could not, but at least it is easy now to get the emv chip.  Good Luck if you app the dividend card is a good card to have.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 23
mab6311
New Contributor

so is there no way for a new app for citi dividend mastercard? 

Message 6 of 23
slippy84
Contributor

Hey SwiftTone,

As indicated in my sig, I'm about to be upgraded to the World Elite version. A few notes about getting the card based on my research and my own experience:

-You can't apply for the card directly. In fact, you've never been able to apply for it directly. It has only been available as an upgrade to users who have one of the other Citi Dividend cards. A few users report being automatically upgraded, but most people have to call and request the change.

-Most all of the users who were able to upgrade had their Dividend card for at least a year. I think I saw one person who reported being able to upgrade at under the year mark but over 6 months.

-Apparently, the criteria to upgrade are unknown. It seems to be a combo of usage and payment history with Citi, credit score, or some combo of the two. Some people report being told that their account is not eligible for upgrade, while others are approved even though they have similar profiles. Seems like a gamble overall. It's likely that one would need a credit limit of over $5k. My limit is $6k. They often have to shuffle around your APR during the conversion (my purchase APR is being dropped from 16.24% to 14.24%) so that might be the source of some of the criteria

-You have to get lucky on the phone with them. It can take multiple calls asking for a supervisor to find someone who knows the magic buttons to push to see if you're even eligible. A lot of their front line CSRs have no idea what you're talking about.

-You can make the switch directly from their platinum-level Visa to the World Elite, provided that your account meets whatever requirements they have set up and that you find the right person on the phone to talk to.

-The upgrade occurs with only a soft pull

The card definitely has EMV as an option (The whole Dividend line is offerend in an EMV version now, including my normal Visa one). The PayPass enabled version (default version) has a normal Mastercard logo, while the EMV-chip version has the silver Mastercard logo. The lounge benefit is pretty weak, as it just gets you a discount lounge admissions at select lounges. I think that it costs like $27/pass even after the discount.

US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend -- Citi Double Cash -- AMEX BCE -- Discover It
Message 7 of 23
slippy84
Contributor

@mab6311 wrote:

Here's a quote from a review of the Dividend Mastercard World

"2013 Update: New applicants of this card are no longer being given a MasterCard. Instead you will receive the Visa “Platinum Select” tier and you can learn more about the new version here."

I wonder if SwiftTone found a backdoor application page though that might still be valid

As I mentioned above, you can PC from the Visa version directly to the World Elite version, if that's what you're going for

US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend -- Citi Double Cash -- AMEX BCE -- Discover It
Message 8 of 23
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@slippy84 wrote:

@mab6311 wrote:

Here's a quote from a review of the Dividend Mastercard World

"2013 Update: New applicants of this card are no longer being given a MasterCard. Instead you will receive the Visa “Platinum Select” tier and you can learn more about the new version here."

I wonder if SwiftTone found a backdoor application page though that might still be valid

As I mentioned above, you can PC from the Visa version directly to the World Elite version, if that's what you're going for

Thanks all for the info. Do you guys think they offer different products if I were to call in and inquire?

@Anonymous, could you please link me to the review?

edit: this is the link I found. Looks a little funny and also it says "earn atleast 2% back on popular categories..." instead of the 5% categories.... maybe its a different card? Anyways, heres the link: https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/cardDetail.do?screenID=923&contentId=BM4T4Z8

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 9 of 23
Ron1
Super Contributor

Not all Citicards can upgrade to EMV version. Not Citi Cash Returns MC. Smiley Sad

Ron.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.