Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to get higher limits

tag
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

Best way to get higher limits

Got a problem here. started with 492 in Sept 2011 and now I'm at 682 and went app crazy after my mortgage tradeline hit my credit. Now I got some nice cards, but limits are still the same..what to do? Should I hold off for few months and then app again and see if someone is willing to take a chance with higher limit or stop apping and just garden what I have and try for CLIs....damn gardening is so hard!

Before Mortgage - OCT 2013

Capone $2000 (Had to get EO involved twice $500 > $1000 > $2000) over the course of 2 years

Sony $1000

Best Buy $1000

Amazon $850

Walmart $900

Kay Jewelers $2000

After Mortgage CLIs

Capone, Sony which is Capone and Best Buy all refused CLI..Best Buy CITI even hardpulled and then refuse..what a waste

Amazon $1150 CLI to $2000

Walmart $1100 CLI to $2000

NEWLY Aquired cards which at least I'm happy prime banks are giving me a chance now, but limits still small

AMEX GREEN - Charge

Lowes - $500 - Recon to $2000 after 2nd statement

BOA Balance Rewards - $1500

Discover IT - $1000

Barclays Rewards - $2000

Chase Amazon Visa - $2000

Fidelity AMEX 2% - $1000

Target - $300 bucks! Wanted 5% but this limit is just sorry

Anyway - those are some new cards. Love the fact prime banks are giving me a look and might close out QuickSilver since Capone won't drop the AF of $39 or do CLI. They did waive AF in November so I might close it in October of this year..now that I got Fidelity, QS is useless. Might close Sony since its also useless and Best Buy. I figure I have a better chance applying for Best Buy card in 2 years with HP and getting a very good limit than risking HP for another $500-$1000

Any suggestions. Would you chill out on these for 6 months and try for another card like Freedom or Citi product and hope that its a higher limit or would you garden for 6-18 months and ask for CLI and hope to move these cards to higher limits before applying for anything else. I hate to garden and I might need a 12 step program for it, but I can't keep getting $2000 from everyone

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Best way to get higher limits

@MarcinXP wrote:

Got a problem here. started with 492 in Sept 2011 and now I'm at 682 and went app crazy after my mortgage tradeline hit my credit. Now I got some nice cards, but limits are still the same..what to do? Should I hold off for few months and then app again and see if someone is willing to take a chance with higher limit or stop apping and just garden what I have and try for CLIs....damn gardening is so hard!

Capone $2000 (Had to get EO involved twice $500 > $1000 > $2000) over the course of 2 years

Sony $1000

Best Buy $1000

Amazon $850

Walmart $900

Kay Jewelers $2000

After Mortgage CLIs

Capone, Sony which is Capone and Best Buy all refused CLI..Best Buy CITI even hardpulled and then refuse..what a waste

NEWLY Aquired cards which at least I'm happy prime banks are giving me a chance now, but limits still small

AMEX GREEN - Charge

Discover IT - $1000

Barclays Rewards - $2000

Fidelity AMEX 2% - $1000

Anyway - those are some new cards. Love the fact prime banks are giving me a look and might close out QuickSilver since Capone won't drop the AF of $39 or do CLI. They did waive AF in November so I might close it in October of this year..now that I got Fidelity, QS is useless. Might close Sony since its also useless and Best Buy. I figure I have a better chance applying for Best Buy card in 2 years with HP and getting a very good limit than risking HP for another $500-$1000

Any suggestions. Would you chill out on these for 6 months and try for another card like Freedom or Citi product and hope that its a higher limit or would you garden for 6-18 months and ask for CLI and hope to move these cards to higher limits before applying for anything else. I hate to garden and I might need a 12 step program for it, but I can't keep getting $2000 from everyone

Hold on there, cowboy! You have a fantastic lineup of cards, and obviously the scrapes and bruises in your credit past is what's holding you back. Not to worry, they will age off in time and you will get there Smiley Happy

I know it's hard to garden, but you've got some very useful cards! No need to grab every card possible just to get a high limit! Sit on your hands, and let them grow. Hell, any of the above cards that offer a soft pull? Go get 'em!

For example: Any Cap One cards? hit that CLI button every 6 months. no go? contact EO!

GE --> you can ask every 4 months!

Discover --> sometimes hard pull, sometimes soft; try every 3-6 months and ask if they can increase via soft pull!

Everyone else is mostly hard pulls, but treat them right and you can see some auto lovin'!

Credit is a marathon, not a race! Focus on the cards that are most useful to you reward-wise, and they will grow over time!

Best of luck in your credit endeavors!

Message 2 of 18
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I am eager to hear the replies to your post as I am in much the same position.  I feel stuck in some sort of low limit death trap.  I am thinking of closing some out myself, especially MyPoints!  $250?!?  Are you kidding me?!?  I would NEVER have accepted the card had I known that was going to be the limit.  It's only reported for one month and I'm just really not sure if closing it after only one month would help more or hurt more.

Message 3 of 18
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@MarcinXP wrote:

Sony $1000

Best Buy $1000

Amazon $850

Walmart $900

Kay Jewelers $2000

After Mortgage CLIs

AMEX GREEN - Charge

Discover IT - $1000

Barclays Rewards - $2000

Fidelity AMEX 2% - $1000

Hold on there, cowboy! You have a fantastic lineup of cards, and obviously the scrapes and bruises in your credit past is what's holding you back. Not to worry, they will age off in time and you will get there Smiley Happy

I know it's hard to garden, but you've got some very useful cards! No need to grab every card possible just to get a high limit! Sit on your hands, and let them grow. Hell, any of the above cards that offer a soft pull? Go get 'em!

For example: Any Cap One cards? hit that CLI button every 6 months. no go? contact EO!

GE --> you can ask every 4 months!

Discover --> sometimes hard pull, sometimes soft; try every 3-6 months and ask if they can increase via soft pull!

Everyone else is mostly hard pulls, but treat them right and you can see some auto lovin'!

Credit is a marathon, not a race! Focus on the cards that are most useful to you reward-wise, and they will grow over time!

Best of luck in your credit endeavors!

Thanks daybreakgonesXe

I need to take your advice. For me it's been rebuilding mode for almost 3 years. I still have 3 baddies, but can't do anything about them, but that is down from 18 baddies that are now gone in less than 24 months. Got state tax lien till January of next year along with Capital One until December of next year. No amount of goodwilling could make that go away. I tried. but after that i should be golden.

My problem has always been that I love to stay busy, build, collect and add!! Credit Cards, Blu-Ray movies, etc..etc...but you are right..looks like I should be near my limit and go from collecting and adding to just chilling out. Frankly there isin't too many cards out there that I want except maybe Freedom and BCE and perhaps another citi product just to get a relationship going as Best Buy is not giving in and frankly with my fiance having HHGregg at $3k and them having 5% off and 0% and are willing to negotiate on big ticket items and for rest we use Amazon, I don't see myself keeping Best Buy.

Thanks again. I guess I will hold off...wait 6 months...click CLI and ask for any and all CLIs for those who do soft pulls and perhaps wait another year to do HP for one I like.

CapOnes are definitely going to get closed. I understand SD cards, but i don't carry balances and keep myself below 10% on one card like clockwork, so losing available credit is not a problem and tradeline will still be there for next 10 years.

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 4 of 18
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

i would highly suggest credit unions...point in case when i applied to have my car refinanced at one i inquired about any other pre approvals off the inquiry they already did for me in their system....their answer a 10k visa platinum 9.9 fixed. although this may not seem outstanding to some please keep in mind i am 2 years post chapter 7....i would suggest dcu maybe unless you live in indianapolis area

Message 5 of 18
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

The answer is to garden. And be patient--asking for cli every few months. Then once you have cards that you've gardened well, the limits will get higher. Higher limits invite higher limits, so you must first grow your limits, then other creditors will follow. Quit applying. For anything. The only thing that will get you higher limits, is creditors seeing that you can handle higher limits. GE backed cards and CU/USAA are good places to quickly get higher limits. You have a wal mart card, so just call credit solutions and ask them for a cli. Keep checking your free fico score and if it goes up, call credit solutions and ask for more. The other cards are only eligible for cli periodically, but I have been in a situation with my wal mart card such that I have gotten two cli in the same day, then another one the following day.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 6 of 18
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

I'm in the same boat but still only have three cards.  That first 5K+ limit is pretty hard to get unless you're going for a Duck Card (I wouldn't dare touch it even if I lived in OR) or NFCU which I don't qualify.  I bank with US Bank and, although they are known to be quite a conservative lender, I think I'm going to try my hand at a higher limit card in the branch/in person.  I've been with them for 8 years, have had paychecks directly deposited the whole time and they can see I put my bills before anything (never made a late payment).  I've also gone from high 500's/low 600's to over 700's over the years after rebuilding my arse off.  The whole "in person" and established bank relationship may make no difference at all but I'm going to try it next month.  

I'm with the others in that I would certainly not get any new cards.  I'd grow the ones you have.  For me, Discover showed auto luv in my 1 year anniversary month.  CapitalOne is a lost cause and more trouble than it's worth.  Next month, I plan to acquire two new accounts to replace my CapOne's and they're gone.  If you insist on more--rewards cards seem to be the most popular by a landslide and for good reason but I wouldn't look over balance transfer cards.  By design, they "should" have decent starting limits so you can transfer other balances you have.  Otherwise, they would be close to worthless.  US Bank Visa Platinum, Chase Slate and Citi Diamond Preferred stand out and some of the better ones right now.  I wouldn't go that route if I were you, though.

Good luck.  It'll happen in due time, regardless.  Smiley Happy

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 7 of 18
Networth
Frequent Contributor

As others have said, wait and let everything age. No rush new cards, new mortage I would sit back relax and just keep PIF for now.

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 8 of 18
NoNonsense
Established Member

@MarcinXP wrote:

Any suggestions. Would you chill out on these for 6 months and try for another card like..

.-----------------------------------------------

I assume you are familiar with these boards?  But, just in case you aren't, if you give most of our esteemed members the chance to tell you to garden... THEY WILL.  It's their thing.  I don't know if they are vegetarian or what's their problem, but that answer is coming as sure as the sun will come out tomorrow.  So, I hope you enjoy your veggies, cause that's what you'll be getting...

Message 9 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@NoNonsense wrote:

@MarcinXP wrote:

Any suggestions. Would you chill out on these for 6 months and try for another card like..

.-----------------------------------------------

I assume you are familiar with these boards?  But, just in case you aren't, if you give most of our esteemed members the chance to tell you to garden... THEY WILL.  It's their thing.  I don't know if they are vegetarian or what's their problem, but that answer is coming as sure as the sun will come out tomorrow.  So, I hope you enjoy your veggies, cause that's what you'll be getting...

Let's remember to be respectful in your comments.  Please address your comments to the query posed by the OP. 

Lexie, myFICO Moderator

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.