Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to get higher limits

tag
Chris679
Established Contributor

Re: Best way to get higher limits

@MarcinXP wrote:

Got a problem here. started with 492 in Sept 2011 and now I'm at 682 and went app crazy after my mortgage tradeline hit my credit. Now I got some nice cards, but limits are still the same..what to do? Should I hold off for few months and then app again and see if someone is willing to take a chance with higher limit or stop apping and just garden what I have and try for CLIs....damn gardening is so hard!

Before Mortgage - OCT 2013

Capone $2000 (Had to get EO involved twice $500 > $1000 > $2000) over the course of 2 years

Sony $1000

Best Buy $1000

Amazon $850

Walmart $900

Kay Jewelers $2000

After Mortgage CLIs

Capone, Sony which is Capone and Best Buy all refused CLI..Best Buy CITI even hardpulled and then refuse..what a waste

Amazon $1150 CLI to $2000

Walmart $1100 CLI to $2000

NEWLY Aquired cards which at least I'm happy prime banks are giving me a chance now, but limits still small

AMEX GREEN - Charge

Lowes - $500 - Recon to $2000 after 2nd statement

BOA Balance Rewards - $1500

Discover IT - $1000

Barclays Rewards - $2000

Chase Amazon Visa - $2000

Fidelity AMEX 2% - $1000

Target - $300 bucks! Wanted 5% but this limit is just sorry

Anyway - those are some new cards. Love the fact prime banks are giving me a look and might close out QuickSilver since Capone won't drop the AF of $39 or do CLI. They did waive AF in November so I might close it in October of this year..now that I got Fidelity, QS is useless. Might close Sony since its also useless and Best Buy. I figure I have a better chance applying for Best Buy card in 2 years with HP and getting a very good limit than risking HP for another $500-$1000

Any suggestions. Would you chill out on these for 6 months and try for another card like Freedom or Citi product and hope that its a higher limit or would you garden for 6-18 months and ask for CLI and hope to move these cards to higher limits before applying for anything else. I hate to garden and I might need a 12 step program for it, but I can't keep getting $2000 from everyone

The garden is the best way to increase your limits.  If you keep applying you are going to get lower and lower limits, especially if you apply 6 months after you just opened all these accounts.  You have some great cards and you need to request SP CLI as often as you can and occasionally request HP increase when your score is optimal. 

The reason everyone here tells people to garden is that it if you really need a card you don't think twice about it.  If you have to ask yourself if you should apply then you've already aswered your own question.

Message 11 of 18
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Getting a bunch of cards makes you look desperate for credit for credit card companies in my opinion. The credit crunch makes them all more cautious. Gardening is tough but having a bunch of cards with toy limits for a very long time is tougher. Joining the garden club is entertaining if not educational.  Gardening 6 months preferably a year CCC will look at you in a whole new way. Good Luck in your credit journey. After all it is a journey not a race.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 12 of 18
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I might be a bit lonly with my idea. But it has worked for me. My mission was to grow the amount on my 2 oldest cards  first and then start adding new cards. Like this the amounts I received from new lenders were at a nice limits already.  I am sure if I had spread out before working on an increase of my 2 oldest cards my limits would be nowhere near my todays limits. That is just my opinion and has perfectly worked for me.

Congrats on your approvals - Good luck on CLIs Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 18
Happychap
Frequent Contributor

Just keep blasting those love buttons on the sp cards every 4-6 mths to get your limits up! Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 18
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@NoNonsense wrote:

@MarcinXP wrote:

Any suggestions. Would you chill out on these for 6 months and try for another card like..

.-----------------------------------------------

I assume you are familiar with these boards?  But, just in case you aren't, if you give most of our esteemed members the chance to tell you to garden... THEY WILL.  It's their thing.  I don't know if they are vegetarian or what's their problem, but that answer is coming as sure as the sun will come out tomorrow.  So, I hope you enjoy your veggies, cause that's what you'll be getting...

Do you disagree or something? If so, then give us an instantiation of your name and offer some advice that is based on your personal experience instead of mocking the people that are giving the logical answer. Otherwise you are just telling the OP what the proper advice is and mocking those that give it----an awkward position to be in, for sure. 

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 15 of 18
BootStraps
Established Contributor

@NoNonsense wrote:

@MarcinXP wrote:

Any suggestions. Would you chill out on these for 6 months and try for another card like..

.-----------------------------------------------

I assume you are familiar with these boards?  But, just in case you aren't, if you give most of our esteemed members the chance to tell you to garden... THEY WILL.  It's their thing.  I don't know if they are vegetarian or what's their problem, but that answer is coming as sure as the sun will come out tomorrow.  So, I hope you enjoy your veggies, cause that's what you'll be getting...

Actually, what the OP will be getting is rock solid advice that comes from experience.

The purpose of gardening is to lessen the impact of the inquiries from the apps and to age the credit lines. Both of these make a person's credit report more attractive to potential credit card companies. If a person does app after app after app (credit seeking behavior), that can be a red flag to credit issuers that the person may be running into money problems and might default on the lines that they already have.

Starting Score: All Under 590 (8/2011)
Current Score: Ex: 676 Eq: 681 Tu: 683
Goal Score: Ex: 725 Eq: 725 Tu: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Back in the Garden 4/22/16 Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 18
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

Well - logged in to Capital One today to see if EO has made any progress getting me CLIs. They said 3-5 days I will hear back and haven't yet, however my Sony card increased in limit. Went from $1k to $3k. Very surprised. My QS is still at $2k. Wonder if they are going to increase that one at all? If not - no biggie. It has AF coming up in November and I will cancel it before then. I got Fidelity AMEX now with $1k and I will let that grow while getting 2% on everything rather than 1.5% so not a huge loss.

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 17 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

You say you want Amex blue, did you try yet? now that you have Green I would try every 3 months until you get it since it's sp if denied. and then even if they start you small $1-$2k, at just 61 days you could get 3x cli and be higher then your other cards.

Discover call and ask about a SP CLI every 90 days... I would not spend the HP with them for at least 6 months if not a year!

Fidelity - depending how much you are spending and paying each month you could take the HP at 3 months for CLI and then again at 6... ask for a LOT, they will counter and grow FAST!

Amazon, Walmart, Lowes just keep asking every 4 statements, they are always SP and will grow!

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.