Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to maximize points to pay for vacation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best way to maximize points to pay for vacation

The Hyatt Zilara in Cancun looks beautiful and its all inclusive. Maybe later this year I can get the Hyatt card for the 2 free nights and combine with UR points to make it a trip! Kinda wish I had gone for the Hyatt instead of Marriott card that I have now that I see the redemption values and really understand how valuable those 2 free nights really are!

Message 21 of 30
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Hyatt Zilara in Cancun looks beautiful and its all inclusive. Maybe later this year I can get the Hyatt card for the 2 free nights and combine with UR points to make it a trip! Kinda wish I had gone for the Hyatt instead of Marriott card that I have now that I see the redemption values and really understand how valuable those 2 free nights really are!

My buddy, HF, also researched and went for the Hyatt.  I have not a need yet for hotel card, other deals await (and hotels offer AARP discounts Smiley Wink).

Signature needs updating
Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hubby and I just booked 4 nights for the Hyatt Zilara Cancun for April 2016.  Between our 2 free nights from Hyatt, and our Sapphire UR points, we're staying at a beautiful all inclusive ocean front for free!  Plus, since we're platinum with Hyatt, I'll be looking for a room upgrade upon arrival.  Later this year, hopefully when the 50,000 point Southwest deal returns, we'll be getting that card to take care of the flight as well as start working on earning the companion pass for more free future travel.

Sapphire, Hyatt and Southwest is a win, win, win.

Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hubby and I just booked 4 nights for the Hyatt Zilara Cancun for April 2016.  Between our 2 free nights from Hyatt, and our Sapphire UR points, we're staying at a beautiful all inclusive ocean front for free!  Plus, since we're platinum with Hyatt, I'll be looking for a room upgrade upon arrival.  Later this year, hopefully when the 50,000 point Southwest deal returns, we'll be getting that card to take care of the flight as well as start working on earning the companion pass for more free future travel.

Sapphire, Hyatt and Southwest is a win, win, win.

Thats awesome! Since I just got Marriott card last month and CSP this month I think I have to cool my heels on Chase apps for a little while. But hopefully I can apply for the Hyatt card around September. I see you booked quite far in advance for your stay. Do you think they book up well in advance? Since we are planning to go in March 2016 I wonder if I need to make the reservations pretty soon.

Message 24 of 30
IWOL
Established Contributor

Ive never stayed at the Hyatt in Cancun but I stayed at the Ritz just a few weeks ago and it was simply amazing.

One thing about the RITZ is Ocean front really means ocean front, some of the hotels say ocean front but in actuality the hotel towers are built 100 yards back form the beach. . We had an ocean front suite with a huge patio deck overlooking the crystal clrear blue waters maybe 10 feet from the sand.

The room was huge with a living room and 2 bathrooms.  The food at the Ritz was also amazing, far better than any other hotels I have stayed at in Cancun and the service there is as good as it gets. They basically bring you whatever you want and are constantly checking if you need anything.

One of the coolest things at the Ritz especially if your going for your honeymoon is they have these great casitas/cabanas on the beach where you can have diner in the evening and they light the whole place up with these realy cool lights. It very private and romantic.

The hotel is also very close to the center of town but far away enough that you dont have alot of comotion going on. The pool and beach at the Ritz are also sort of quiet which is nice if you just want to relax during the day. There is a brand new outdfoor shopping mall right across the street.

March is probably the busiest time of year there because of spring break so avaiability is likely to be more difficult wherever you end up staying.

Weherever you end up staying youll have a great time there. Good luck with your trip.

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't seem to figure out how to quote the person I'm responding to.

Spoiledgyrl00 - I wonderered too if maybe we were booking too early, but my sister who is an island hopping fool said it wasn't too early.  Plus I was too excited to wait because this is the first big trip for hubby and I since our own honeymoon to Puerto Rico almost 21 years ago!

The Ritz sounds very nice as well, but I can't speak for it as I know nothing about it.  The Hyatt Zilara I've been researching like crazy and even watched youtube video tours of it.  The whole hotel is built so that every single room is facing the ocean.  The pool is huge and the beach is right on the other side of the pool.  There are beach cabanas, and for an extra charge you can have private dinners on the beach with special decor and lighting.   Definitely take a look on youtube to find unbiased videos that show the hotel grounds, restaurants, pool and beach.  Considering that it's an all inclusive and all meals and drinks are included it was too good for hubby and I to pass up.

I read too that March is quite busy with spring breakers, but I'm hoping by the 3rd week in April when we're going it will have died down alittle.  Heck technically I'll be a "spring breaker" myself as we are going during my spring break from nursing school! Smiley Happy

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and let us know what you decide on!

Message 26 of 30
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Community-Feature-FAQ-s/How-to-Quote-a-Post/td-p/2603189

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Spoiledgyrl00 - I wonderered too if maybe we were booking too early, but my sister who is an island hopping fool said it wasn't too early.  Plus I was too excited to wait because this is the first big trip for hubby and I since our own honeymoon to Puerto Rico almost 21 years ago!

The Ritz sounds very nice as well, but I can't speak for it as I know nothing about it.  The Hyatt Zilara I've been researching like crazy and even watched youtube video tours of it.  The whole hotel is built so that every single room is facing the ocean.  The pool is huge and the beach is right on the other side of the pool.  There are beach cabanas, and for an extra charge you can have private dinners on the beach with special decor and lighting.   Definitely take a look on youtube to find unbiased videos that show the hotel grounds, restaurants, pool and beach.  Considering that it's an all inclusive and all meals and drinks are included it was too good for hubby and I to pass up.

I read too that March is quite busy with spring breakers, but I'm hoping by the 3rd week in April when we're going it will have died down alittle.  Heck technically I'll be a "spring breaker" myself as we are going during my spring break from nursing school! Smiley Happy

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and let us know what you decide on!

Do you have to pay in full/use points up front or just give them a credit card to hold the reservation? I'm trying to scrape these points together first LOL

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

avios are british airways miles.

they can be used to book award american airlines flights since they're a oneworld partner.

shorthaul flights require a low amount of avios, which is why a lot of people like them.

Message 29 of 30
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

avios are british airways miles.

they can be used to book award american airlines flights since they're a oneworld partner.

shorthaul flights require a low amount of avios, which is why a lot of people like them.

Whereas they work for Alaska Air and others, sea Tac is difficult to book with them.  I need more research before I get the CSP in 2017.

Signature needs updating
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.