Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to maximize points to pay for vacation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to maximize points to pay for vacation

Hey folks! So I'm looking for some advice from some of you CC points wizards out there. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get all these CC points programs I belong to to cover most or all of the cost for my honeymoon. We're hoping to spend 4 days in the Carribbean somewhere. After I finish all the spend requirements, I will have roughly 57k SWA Rapid Rewards, 75k Ultimate Rewards and 78k Marriott Rewards. How should I work with these to get to or close to our vacation goal? Can they be combined somehow?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best way to maximize points to pay for vacation

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey folks! So I'm looking for some advice from some of you CC points wizards out there. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get all these CC points programs I belong to to cover most or all of the cost for my honeymoon. We're hoping to spend 4 days in the Carribbean somewhere. After I finish all the spend requirements, I will have roughly 57k SWA Rapid Rewards, 75k Ultimate Rewards and 78k Marriott Rewards. How should I work with these to get to or close to our vacation goal? Can they be combined somehow?

You can transfer your UR points to either Southwest or Marriott. Which one you transfer to is dependent on what rewards flights run and the same for hotels.  You are going to have to do some research on both SW and Marriott accounts for the destinations you like and what a reward flight/hotel stay will cost there.

Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response!

Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your response!

You're very welcome and good luck.  Both sites are pretty easy to navigate in regards to reward redemption 

Message 4 of 30
red259
Super Contributor

You can transfer your ur points to a number of programs. I wouldn't recommend you transfer them to Marriott unless you have no other choice. It's not the best redemption value. I don't use southwest so don't know how good the transfer value is but you might do it to cap off you sw account for flight redemption. Hyatt is decent transfer for urs if they have properties where you are going. United is decent for redemptions not sure how many miles you need. Depending on where flying to/from BA can be great for short flight redemptions and should be checked.
;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 30
Pitt570
New Contributor

I would honestly transfer ur points...i am transferred my ur points to united and also had 50k points with united already and my wife and i are flying free from pa to maui with our bonus points.

PSECU $20k | Navy cash rewards $22K | Navchek $15k | BBVA NBA 4.5K | Discover it $1.5K I Chase CSP $12.5K | Cabelas Visa $1K | Chase Slate $3.5k | Lowes $20k || Paypal SC $2K Home depot $8K |Chase united mileage plus explorer 17K | PenFed Promise 12.5K | PenFedPlatinum 20K | Navy Go rewards $4.5K
Message 6 of 30
IWOL
Established Contributor

I dont think Southwest flies to anywhere in the Carribean.

One good thing about the Marriot points is they have a cash+points option, so you can probably cover most of your hotel stay and pay cash for the rest. I beleive, with Marriot award redemptions the 5th night is free, so if you stay for 5 it will cost the same amount of points as 4 nights.

I would highly recommend the Ritz in Cancun....which actually has nicer beaches than the Carribean.

You can probably redeem 150K Marriot points for a 5 night stay at the Ritz in Cancun in an ocean view room.

You can usually get rety good deals on flights to Cancun to. What part of the country are you in?

Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IWOL wrote:

One good thing about the Marriot points is they have a cash+points option, so you can probably cover most of your hotel stay and pay cash for the rest. I beleive, with Marriot award redemptions the 5th night is free, so if you stay for 5 it will cost the same amount of points as 4 nights.

I would highly recommend the Ritz in Cancun....which actually has nicer beaches than the Carribean.

You can probably redeem 150K Marriot points for a 5 night stay at the Ritz in Cancun in an ocean view room.

You can usually get rety good deals on flights to Cancun to. What part of the country are you in?

We'd be flying from Colorado to where ever we go. SWA actually does fly to a few destinations in the Caribbean. I know they go to Aruba. I'll have to check and see about Cancun. Thanks for the tip on the Ritz!

Message 8 of 30
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

We'd be flying from Colorado to where ever we go. SWA actually does fly to a few destinations in the Caribbean. I know they go to Aruba. I'll have to check and see about Cancun. Thanks for the tip on the Ritz!

While I stick with my position that transferring UR points to marriot isn't usually a good return I do vaguely remember someone commenting about marriott package deals that could include flight and being able to pay with all points. Haven't used it but have heard you can get a decent return on some of those packages if they have carribean ones. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pitt570 wrote:

I would honestly transfer ur points...i am transferred my ur points to united and also had 50k points with united already and my wife and i are flying free from pa to maui with our bonus points.

Awesome!

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.