cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to protect card from scratches?

tag
thorjo1984
Established Member

Best way to protect card from scratches?

I just received my Chase Sapphire Preferred card in the mail and it looks awesome. Now what is the best way to go about keeping it that way? I have read that this card, and just about any card for that matter, gets scratched easily, quickly diminishing its physical appearance and awe inspiring awesomeness. 

At first I thought of the protective sleeves we've all seen. But that only protects the card while its in your wallet. What about protecting it from evil swipers? Maybe some type of scratch resistant protective coating, but it shouldn't take away from the look or feel of the card because that would defeat the purpose.

I wasn't able to find a thread on protecting the cosmetics of a card, and so I invite anyone with wisdom on this topic to come forth and share your secrets. If nothing else, maybe we can come up with some new techniques of protecting our beautiful cards.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
teenastie
Established Contributor

Re: Best way to protect card from scratches?

Sock Drawer!

Message 2 of 23
CS800
Super Contributor

I have tried everything but somehow you do get those mysterious scratches  that apprear. I keep my cards really well. But the cheap plastic scratches easily. Sleeves help but at some point you have to use the card and the card reader itself will inflict some serious scratches....I lose

Message 3 of 23
luvsandyshores
Regular Contributor

Let me share that the strip can be read through plastic. When I was a cashier if the card reader was having problems reading cards, we'd put the card in a plastic bag and run it through. So maybe laminate them? Or just call and ask for a brand new one!
CH13 confirmed 1/2016
Message 4 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Sock Drawer or freezer +1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 23
pj421fly
Valued Member

Much ado about nothing, can't ever remember seeing someone pulling out a card and thinking, "boy that card is so scratched" However to be honest the ones that look wore out lead me to believe they are responsible credit holders to have a card that beat up! Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: TU-691 EQ-681 EX-693
Current Score: TU-826 EQ-816 EX-814
Goal Score: 830+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 23
quest208
Frequent Contributor

ive tried everything and ive come to realize the best way to avoid scratches on anything is not to use it.  covering it in plastic will only yield some much unwanted attention from the merchants.  LOL no thanks

when they get scratched i just order a new one the creditor is always happy to send a new one (to me at least)

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 7 of 23
teenastie
Established Contributor

I agree my heavily used cards have all the scratches on them, the chrome on the numbers are rubbed off, and the signature strip is a mess! The sub prime cards look very nice! Kind of a paradox... I know Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 23
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

If I didn't know the OP was serious I'd say this question was some sort of spoof.  It's a piece of plastic with a magnetic stripe, do NOT fall in love with it, it is meant to be used which means it will get scratched, bent from being in your wallet, and the coating will rubb off the numbers.  No merchant cares and neither should you.  It a tool, like a hammer, that is meant to be used.

Message 9 of 23
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Try the screen protectors like the iPhone or Android phones. Just cut to fit. I haven't done this and don't plan to but I suspect they will work fine. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.