Senior Contributor
bichonmom

Re: Best way to "shred" a CC?

Well, I've heard that there are people who go through trash. I don't know if there's truth to it or not, but I thought by your post, you meant a week in between when the garbage is picked up -- just to be on the safe side.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Moderator Emeritus
MarineVietVet

bichonmom wrote:

Well, I've heard that there are people who go through trash. I don't know if there's truth to it or not, but I thought by your post, you meant a week in between when the garbage is picked up -- just to be on the safe side.

The time between trash pick ups definitely needs to be taken into account because as you say there are people who go through trash.

pizzadude

I'd take the cards out to the shooting range and run a few rounds thru, that usually make nice big holes  :smileywink:

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Valued Contributor
visorboy1974

Shredder or scissors work fine for me.  

Senior Contributor
bichonmom

Thank you for everyone's ideas!  I really liked the idea of putting the pieces in different trash cans, so that the pieces can't be put back together. 4 slices are in my garbage now and the rest will be in next week's garbage. :smileytongue:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Valued Contributor
CreditScholar

What about cards like the CSP? How do you shred those? :smileysad:
FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Mega Contributor
LS2982

bichonmom wrote:

I haven't had CCs for so long, this wasn't an issue. I used to just cut them in half and throw them away. But now, with so much CC fraud, identity theft, and internet sales (so the physical card isn't even needed!), I am not sure the best way to destroy a CC. It's actually an expired debit card that I have to toss, but same principle applies.

BTW, I know people talk about shredding them, but my shredder couldn't shred a CC -- only paper. So I figured that's just a figure of speech. :smileytongue:

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Spend $30 bucks and get a good shredder that can cut vertically and horizontally and do credit cards. Best option out there other than attcking it with scissors!

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Contributor
MrShush

bichonmom wrote:

Great idea for an invention:  a miniature paper-cutter, designed just for credit cards, with multiple blades that go down and slice the CC into small 1/4" slices. :smileyhappy:

Sorry bichonmom, some one beat you to it :smileywink:

http://www.uncommongoods.com/reviews/pwr/product-reviews/desktop/office-tools/p/17291-SHREDDER-SCISS...

Established Contributor
ChesterPDexter

I think if you're cutting them up because they're cancelled, there's not a big risk of anyone searching throught a trash truck or landfill and putting pieces together, is there?  Which seems unlikely, anyway.

I'm too lazy to place pieces in different trash cans, but (since I ruined my shredder by shredding cards), I do something like this:

Cut horizontally through the account number, then vertically so that's in at least four pieces.  Then I cut through my name , also.  I don't like my full name being out there in the trash, even.

I think that's it.  Maybe I destroy the expiration date or the security code.  I think about six pieces is suffiicient, and then it goes deep into the trash (with small children around, you want to make sure no sharp pieces are left - those can be pretty pointy.)

I also burn them in a bonfire. No one will ever get my info.

Starting Score: EQ 729 TU 727
Current Score: Ex (AMEX) 765 EQ 734 TU 736
Goal Score: 780+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+