cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to soft pull for credit limit increases

Regular Contributor

Best way to soft pull for credit limit increases

Hey yall,

So I think I'm going to join this garden club. From what I understand (I'm new here) we just pay bills and wait as our credit grows and inquiries fall... But I understand we are encouraged to soft pull for CLI. So...

With that being said. Who has experience soft pulling with BoA, Chase, AmEx, Discover and OCCU for higher credit? I know about the 61 day increase with AmEx. Does anyone know similar methods or successes with other banks like the 61 day rule etc. 

I think this will be a helpful thread!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES
Senior Contributor

Re: Best way to soft pull for credit limit increases

BOSScredit wrote:

Hey yall,

So I think I'm going to join this garden club. From what I understand (I'm new here) we just pay bills and wait as our credit grows and inquiries fall... But I understand we are encouraged to soft pull for CLI. So...

With that being said. Who has experience soft pulling with BoA, Chase, AmEx, Discover and OCCU for higher credit? I know about the 61 day increase with AmEx. Does anyone know similar methods or successes with other banks like the 61 day rule etc. 

I think this will be a helpful thread!

From your list of lenders, AMEX would tend to be trend-setter.  OCCU thus far from what folks have posted doesn't process via SP, it appears any CLIs are HP.  Chase is HP (99%).  BOA is mostly HP, unless your account has received a pre-qualified offer for CLI via SP.  Discover can be SP if your account is elegible, otherwise HP.

Message 2 of 9
Valued Contributor

Dovetailing on the other responder... 

If you've had financial issues, with Credit Line Decreases, Chase will "reinstate" a previous Credit Line (notice the change in verb from increase) to the most recent Credit Line via a SP. Anything above the most recent (ie, if your line was cut over a few steps) will require a HP.

Discover has a threshold where they will SP, and beyond that, they will perform a HP.  They will disclose to you (if you ask) where the line is between SP and HP.

Citibank (Visa/MC) has a similar feature to Discover. Citibank Retail cards (such as Home Depot, Best Buy, etc) will require a HP all of the time.

Amex, Comenity, and GE will SP virtually all the time.

Bank of America told me that they needed a HP for even a transfer of a credit line from one card to another - blech!

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 3 of 9
Established Contributor

What about Barclay. From what I have read before they may auto from the 4th to 6th statement cut, but what if you request via the luv button?

Message 4 of 9
Senior Contributor

Longroad wrote:

What about Barclay. From what I have read before they may auto from the 4th to 6th statement cut, but what if you request via the luv button?

Barclays is HP whether online or through a CSR.  Pre-qualified CLIs wold also some into play with Barclays provided the account is elegible, sometimes they offer them via BT checks.

Message 5 of 9
Valued Contributor

Longroad wrote:

I don't know about Barclay, Sorry.... 

I had an old Juniper card that I closed, and they closed my Barnes & Noble account...  I haven't been able to get back in.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 6 of 9
Senior Contributor

Capital One is another lender that offers SP CLIs.  DSNB/Citi for either Macy's or Bloomingdale's cards also tend to be SPs the majority of the time.

Message 7 of 9
Frequent Contributor

Barclays in my experience HP's without warning, whereas Discover will explicitly tell you at what point they will need a HP

TU: 768 | EQ: 769 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 9/3/16
AAoA: 2y 11m
Lowest limit: Citi Double Cash MasterCard - $14,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,000
Available credit: $177,100 (6 cards)
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

heyitsyeh wrote:

Barclays in my experience HP's without warning, whereas Discover will explicitly tell you at what point they will need a HP

The "warning" is assumed/permissible purpose - part of the T&C with the lender for standard AR, which would include CLIs.

Message 9 of 9