Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Regular Contributor

Best way to soft pull for credit limit increases

Hey yall,

So I think I'm going to join this garden club. From what I understand (I'm new here) we just pay bills and wait as our credit grows and inquiries fall... But I understand we are encouraged to soft pull for CLI. So...

With that being said. Who has experience soft pulling with BoA, Chase, AmEx, Discover and OCCU for higher credit? I know about the 61 day increase with AmEx. Does anyone know similar methods or successes with other banks like the 61 day rule etc. 

I think this will be a helpful thread!

Senior Contributor

Re: Best way to soft pull for credit limit increases

BOSScredit wrote:

Hey yall,

So I think I'm going to join this garden club. From what I understand (I'm new here) we just pay bills and wait as our credit grows and inquiries fall... But I understand we are encouraged to soft pull for CLI. So...

With that being said. Who has experience soft pulling with BoA, Chase, AmEx, Discover and OCCU for higher credit? I know about the 61 day increase with AmEx. Does anyone know similar methods or successes with other banks like the 61 day rule etc. 

I think this will be a helpful thread!

From your list of lenders, AMEX would tend to be trend-setter.  OCCU thus far from what folks have posted doesn't process via SP, it appears any CLIs are HP.  Chase is HP (99%).  BOA is mostly HP, unless your account has received a pre-qualified offer for CLI via SP.  Discover can be SP if your account is elegible, otherwise HP.

Established Contributor

Dovetailing on the other responder... 

If you've had financial issues, with Credit Line Decreases, Chase will "reinstate" a previous Credit Line (notice the change in verb from increase) to the most recent Credit Line via a SP. Anything above the most recent (ie, if your line was cut over a few steps) will require a HP.

Discover has a threshold where they will SP, and beyond that, they will perform a HP.  They will disclose to you (if you ask) where the line is between SP and HP.

Citibank (Visa/MC) has a similar feature to Discover. Citibank Retail cards (such as Home Depot, Best Buy, etc) will require a HP all of the time.

Amex, Comenity, and GE will SP virtually all the time.

Bank of America told me that they needed a HP for even a transfer of a credit line from one card to another - blech!

I was going to garden... Honest!
Frequent Contributor

What about Barclay. From what I have read before they may auto from the 4th to 6th statement cut, but what if you request via the luv button?

photo CashBackCards_Page_1_zpse840d151.jpg
Senior Contributor

Longroad wrote:

What about Barclay. From what I have read before they may auto from the 4th to 6th statement cut, but what if you request via the luv button?

Barclays is HP whether online or through a CSR.  Pre-qualified CLIs wold also some into play with Barclays provided the account is elegible, sometimes they offer them via BT checks.

Established Contributor

Longroad wrote:

I don't know about Barclay, Sorry.... 

I had an old Juniper card that I closed, and they closed my Barnes & Noble account...  I haven't been able to get back in.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Senior Contributor

Capital One is another lender that offers SP CLIs.  DSNB/Citi for either Macy's or Bloomingdale's cards also tend to be SPs the majority of the time.

Frequent Contributor

Barclays in my experience HP's without warning, whereas Discover will explicitly tell you at what point they will need a HP

TU: 753 | EQ: 751 | EX: 747
Last INQ: 1/23/15
AAoA: 2y 6m
Lowest limit: Sallie Mae MasterCard - $5,000
Highest limit: AmEx EveryDay - $30,000
Available credit: $112,600 (7 cards)
Senior Contributor

heyitsyeh wrote:

Barclays in my experience HP's without warning, whereas Discover will explicitly tell you at what point they will need a HP

The "warning" is assumed/permissible purpose - part of the T&C with the lender for standard AR, which would include CLIs.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.