Regular Contributor
BOSScredit

Best way to soft pull for credit limit increases

Hey yall,

So I think I'm going to join this garden club. From what I understand (I'm new here) we just pay bills and wait as our credit grows and inquiries fall... But I understand we are encouraged to soft pull for CLI. So...

With that being said. Who has experience soft pulling with BoA, Chase, AmEx, Discover and OCCU for higher credit? I know about the 61 day increase with AmEx. Does anyone know similar methods or successes with other banks like the 61 day rule etc. 

I think this will be a helpful thread!

Valued Contributor
FinStar

Re: Best way to soft pull for credit limit increases

BOSScredit wrote:

Hey yall,

So I think I'm going to join this garden club. From what I understand (I'm new here) we just pay bills and wait as our credit grows and inquiries fall... But I understand we are encouraged to soft pull for CLI. So...

With that being said. Who has experience soft pulling with BoA, Chase, AmEx, Discover and OCCU for higher credit? I know about the 61 day increase with AmEx. Does anyone know similar methods or successes with other banks like the 61 day rule etc. 

I think this will be a helpful thread!

From your list of lenders, AMEX would tend to be trend-setter.  OCCU thus far from what folks have posted doesn't process via SP, it appears any CLIs are HP.  Chase is HP (99%).  BOA is mostly HP, unless your account has received a pre-qualified offer for CLI via SP.  Discover can be SP if your account is elegible, otherwise HP.

Established Contributor
CreditUnionFan

Dovetailing on the other responder... 

If you've had financial issues, with Credit Line Decreases, Chase will "reinstate" a previous Credit Line (notice the change in verb from increase) to the most recent Credit Line via a SP. Anything above the most recent (ie, if your line was cut over a few steps) will require a HP.

Discover has a threshold where they will SP, and beyond that, they will perform a HP.  They will disclose to you (if you ask) where the line is between SP and HP.

Citibank (Visa/MC) has a similar feature to Discover. Citibank Retail cards (such as Home Depot, Best Buy, etc) will require a HP all of the time.

Amex, Comenity, and GE will SP virtually all the time.

Bank of America told me that they needed a HP for even a transfer of a credit line from one card to another - blech!

I was going to garden... Honest!
Frequent Contributor
Longroad

What about Barclay. From what I have read before they may auto from the 4th to 6th statement cut, but what if you request via the luv button?

Valued Contributor
FinStar

Longroad wrote:

What about Barclay. From what I have read before they may auto from the 4th to 6th statement cut, but what if you request via the luv button?

Barclays is HP whether online or through a CSR.  Pre-qualified CLIs wold also some into play with Barclays provided the account is elegible, sometimes they offer them via BT checks.

Established Contributor
CreditUnionFan

Longroad wrote:

I don't know about Barclay, Sorry.... 

I had an old Juniper card that I closed, and they closed my Barnes & Noble account...  I haven't been able to get back in.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Valued Contributor
FinStar

Capital One is another lender that offers SP CLIs.  DSNB/Citi for either Macy's or Bloomingdale's cards also tend to be SPs the majority of the time.

Regular Contributor
heyitsyeh

Barclays in my experience HP's without warning, whereas Discover will explicitly tell you at what point they will need a HP

PR Gold Amex - NPSL
Sallie Mae World MasterCard - $3.5k
Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $10.2k
Discover It - $11.5k
Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard - $14k
Fidelity Amex - $15k
Valued Contributor
FinStar

heyitsyeh wrote:

Barclays in my experience HP's without warning, whereas Discover will explicitly tell you at what point they will need a HP

The "warning" is assumed/permissible purpose - part of the T&C with the lender for standard AR, which would include CLIs.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+