Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to use secured CC

tag
cgreer72
Regular Contributor

Best way to use secured CC

My first post, be gentle.....Smiley Wink

What is the best way to use a secured credit card to improve my FICO? Should I charge a little and PIF each month, or should I pay some and let the rest ride for a couple of months, paying monthly and on time, of course. I just applied yesterday with Capital one and got approved with a $49 deposit. Which leads to my other question...... is a lower deposit good or bad? Does that mean I'm more of a risk because I had a lower deposit?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
flowerutah
Established Member

Re: Best way to use secured CC

My lender told me to use the balance and pay it back off with our next paycheck which is every two weeks, I don't know if this is true or not but this is what we are going to do with our public savings secured CC, I'm hoping the credit points goes up pretty good ...

Message 2 of 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@cgreer72 wrote:

My first post, be gentle.....Smiley Wink

What is the best way to use a secured credit card to improve my FICO? Should I charge a little and PIF each month, or should I pay some and let the rest ride for a couple of months, paying monthly and on time, of course. I just applied yesterday with Capital one and got approved with a $49 deposit. Which leads to my other question...... is a lower deposit good or bad? Does that mean I'm more of a risk because I had a lower deposit?

I would use it like any other card.   Use as much of the balance as you want.   PIF each month to avoid interest.     No advantage to letting it ride.    Never go over limit, Never be late.  

Biigger deposit allows more use to establish a level of spending.   I think deposit should be somewhat representative of what you want later.    Capital One is very easy to add to deposit whenever you want.   They take 2 weeks before it shows on your CL.   And they give unsecured CL on top of secured.   What is your CL with the $49 deposit?

Message 3 of 5
cgreer72
Regular Contributor

I recieved a $200 CL.

Message 4 of 5
vish1
Valued Contributor

As you have a low CL, please be very careful about your CL

The best strategy will be to keep most of your CL available at all times (if you can afford to). If you need to pay every day or 2 to keep most of your limit available feel free to do that. Let the satement report something less than 20$ and then PIF as soon as you can.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.