Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Regular Contributor

Best way to use secured CC

My first post, be gentle.....Smiley Wink

What is the best way to use a secured credit card to improve my FICO? Should I charge a little and PIF each month, or should I pay some and let the rest ride for a couple of months, paying monthly and on time, of course. I just applied yesterday with Capital one and got approved with a $49 deposit. Which leads to my other question...... is a lower deposit good or bad? Does that mean I'm more of a risk because I had a lower deposit?

Established Member

Re: Best way to use secured CC

My lender told me to use the balance and pay it back off with our next paycheck which is every two weeks, I don't know if this is true or not but this is what we are going to do with our public savings secured CC, I'm hoping the credit points goes up pretty good ...

Senior Contributor

cgreer72 wrote:

My first post, be gentle.....Smiley Wink

What is the best way to use a secured credit card to improve my FICO? Should I charge a little and PIF each month, or should I pay some and let the rest ride for a couple of months, paying monthly and on time, of course. I just applied yesterday with Capital one and got approved with a $49 deposit. Which leads to my other question...... is a lower deposit good or bad? Does that mean I'm more of a risk because I had a lower deposit?

I would use it like any other card.   Use as much of the balance as you want.   PIF each month to avoid interest.     No advantage to letting it ride.    Never go over limit, Never be late.  

Biigger deposit allows more use to establish a level of spending.   I think deposit should be somewhat representative of what you want later.    Capital One is very easy to add to deposit whenever you want.   They take 2 weeks before it shows on your CL.   And they give unsecured CL on top of secured.   What is your CL with the $49 deposit?

Regular Contributor

I recieved a $200 CL.

Valued Contributor

As you have a low CL, please be very careful about your CL

The best strategy will be to keep most of your CL available at all times (if you can afford to). If you need to pay every day or 2 to keep most of your limit available feel free to do that. Let the satement report something less than 20$ and then PIF as soon as you can.

Amex PRG | BoA Cash rewards 35K | BoA Cash rewards 7K | Citi AAdvantage 15 K | Chase Sapphire Preferred 11 K | Chase Freedom 10k | Chase United 5 K | Chase Southwest 5K | Chase Airtran 6.4K | Discover IT 8K | Barclays US Airways 7.8 K | DCU 3 K | US Bank Flex Perks 8K | Toys r US 6 K | JC Penney 4.6 K | Macy's 1200 | Kohl's 600
Ex Fico: 762 (PSECU)
EQ Fico: 764 (DCU)
TX Fico: 773 (Discover)
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.