Best way to use secured Discover IT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to use secured Discover IT

My boyfriend literally has 5 items on his credit report:

• 1 - closed/never late auto loan that will report until 11/2024
  • 1 - Verizon collection for $2174
  • 1 - TMobile collection for $2400 (account he opened for his brother)
  • 1 - DirectTV collection for $890 (unreturned equipment)
  • 1 - car loan account repossession but was paid in full

I have disputed the Verizon, TMobile and DirectTV. His Experian Fico8 is 496 via Credit Check Total.

I set up an $1100 Selflender secured 1-year installment loan (first payment due 7/15) and set up a $300 secured Discover IT.

My question is what is the best way to utilize the Discover IT card to a) boost scores b) get the highest limit when it *hopefully* graduates to unsecured in 7 months? 0 balance? 1% utilization? Less than 30% utilization?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best way to use secured Discover IT

He needs two more credit cards ASAP for a total of 3 open cards.  Capital One prequalification page?

Having him get 3 CCs with 2 that report $0 balance and one that reports a $10-15 balance each month.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

He didn't get any prequal offers, so I applied for the regular platinum - denied

And then applied for the secured - denied

I'm hoping to recon the secured as I think I've read on here that the duplicate applications can be one of the reasons.

We also bank with Bank of America and I believe they have a secured card as well.  I'll try there next.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also - I have previously downloaded your google forms for credit tracking! Thank you!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.