Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best with Only 1 CC

tag
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Best with Only 1 CC

Currently I only have one CC.  I will eventually apply for others, but I need to wait until after I apply for a loan.  My question is, from a scoring perspective, having only one card am I better off PIF or leaving a small balance each month? 

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best with Only 1 CC

@KellyP25721 wrote:

Currently I only have one CC.  I will eventually apply for others, but I need to wait until after I apply for a loan.  My question is, from a scoring perspective, having only one card am I better off PIF or leaving a small balance each month? 

1. Mortgage loan?

2. you should pay down the balance before the statement to under 9% of your total credit line, then when the statement comes, PAY IN FULL.

Message 2 of 7
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@KellyP25721 wrote:

You need to leave a 1% bal !!!! Don't pay it to $0 ... After the statement cuts then you can pay the bal off

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@KellyP25721 wrote:

to add though you need 3 tradelines before you can get a mortgage... 

Message 4 of 7
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

No, trying to get a loan for a motorcycle loan through my company credit union.

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 5 of 7
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

As long as I pay it down before the statement, does it matter how much of my CL is use?  I know some banks want to see usage to consider CLI's.  I'm considering using it to make my car payment and a couple of other small things each month which would utilize 50-60% of my CL.

Message 6 of 7
titanofold
Established Contributor

@KellyP25721 wrote:

As long as I pay it down before the statement, does it matter how much of my CL is use?  I know some banks want to see usage to consider CLI's.  I'm considering using it to make my car payment and a couple of other small things each month which would utilize 50-60% of my CL.

They usually base the CLI based on the usage of their TL. Just because a CC reports a low balance to the CR doesn't mean you haven't used it. And, the lender will see every transaction you've made with their card. They'll know everything they need to determine whether or not to give you the CLI.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.