cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BestBuy Store Card - NO CLI after 6 months!!

tag
Grape
Regular Contributor

Re: BestBuy Store Card - NO CLI after 6 months!!

I currently have a Best Buy store card that I recieved in January, 2008 with a $2K CL. I promptly purchased the equipment I had asked for credit for, and placed about $1,800 on the card. The purchase has 0% financing until January, 2010 and I have made all my payments on time, although only in the $25-40 range, and will now begin making $100 payments to be sure I pay the purchase off before the 0% runs out. My PFICO score when I recieved the card was around 617.

I recently hit the LUV button for a CLI and was denied, flat-out. My PFICO right now is 644. I do have a couple baddies on my reports from about 4 years ago. My question is, should I recon via phone? Do you think I did not get a CLI because my balance is currently around $1500? Do they really expect me to pay off a 0% for 2 years purchase 14 months early before I get a CLI? 

Any suggestions would be appreciated as to the best way to get a CLI. Thanks.

Message 21 of 28
jp_dlp
Contributor

Congratulations on your increase.. I opened mine with $3500 CL.. Bought a laptop for $2400 a week after opening, after a month, needed to get another laptop but didn't have enough available credit. keep in mind this is just a month after opening. I talked to regular CSR, advised about my plan on buying another comp. told her I didn't have enough credit. She put me on hold. raised it to $4700. She even told me because I've been a good customer. (I'm like it's been just over a month) but what the heck.. I said great.. I don't know where she based it from as they didn't pull any CR. maybe my history with my orchard cc with $0 bal. $950 CL. just maybe..

@thebostonredsox wrote:

UPDATE ! I decided to call Best Buy Credit and speak to an anaylst. Evidently, they do not do a soft when you request a CLI, so if your score has improved they would not know it. When I requested a CLI, they were using the original info from my CR when I first applied for the card. Although there were no derogs on there, they said that my score was not high enough for a CLI.

I asked the analyst to pull a new CR as my score is higher than when I first got the card. She agreed and a few minutes later told me that she could increase my CL from $1500 to $3600. She also commented that my score was 100 points higher than when I got the card (that seemed a bit high; I estimated my score to be about 40 points higher). So I had to take a hard inquiry, but it was worth it. Incidentally, they pulled Equifax.

In any event it was certainly worth taking the time to recon this with Best Buy.

Current Fico Score
EX: 660 EQ: 680 TR: 690
Message 22 of 28
dilligaf_racing
New Contributor

I got approved tonight for a Best Buy store card with a $2000.00 limit. I was actually surprised because Im used to getting denied. I only have 3 credit cards 2 with zero balances and one with 45$ on it. My scores are all in the low 600's. Best Buy has 0% for 3 years on purchases of home theater products over 999$. I have the cash, but am trying to rebuild my credit so cant go wrong with this for now. 
Fico's TU 613, EQ591, EX615
10-3-08
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Best Buy card is very odd. My husband would apply for the CLI, get a denial letter then we would have our limit incresed on our next statement. On another occasion, my husband lost his card so I called in and they cancelled the card and the representative told me a new card would be out in 7-10 business days. Well, after a week or so we got a denial letter. They had closed our account instead of the card number itself! Weeks later the account was reopened, no one could explain why the account was closed then denied when we were in good standing with them and had multiple CLIs.
Message 24 of 28
Grape
Regular Contributor

What number are people calling to speak to a credit analyst for Best Buy store card? Still no answer to my post above, and any input would really be appreciated. 
Message 25 of 28
thebostonredsox
Regular Contributor

The number to reach a BestBuy Credit Analyst is 302-327-2816. This number is straight to their credit department and when a CSR answers, just ask to speak to a Credit Analyst.

Message 26 of 28
Grape
Regular Contributor

Thanks, thebostonredsox. appreciate it.
Message 27 of 28
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Started out with $3100, no gli.  I asked for one cli online and declined.  YMMV with HSBC.
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.