cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Approval Chances With Amex If I Put down 30-100k Into Amex Bank...?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Better Approval Chances With Amex If I Put down 30-100k Into Amex Bank...?

I'd app then see what's up. You may not need to pay. There have also been reports of folks in your situation getting approved with a $2-3k limit then being denied clis incessantly due to past bad Amex debts.
Good luck! You will need it 😁
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 11 of 17
Elcid89
Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

The debt is stil in their computer system.  I can call and get the amount.  They have told me I should pay it before applying for a card, but I am not obligated to do so.

This is a roundabout way of saying "We can't force to repay your old debt with us. but if you ever want another card from us, you'll have to make arrangements with us to get it repaid, and fulfill them, before we'll give you another card."

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 12 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Andy77 wrote:

The debt is stil in their computer system.  I can call and get the amount.  They have told me I should pay it before applying for a card, but I am not obligated to do so.

This is a roundabout way of saying "We can't force to repay your old debt with us. but if you ever want another card from us, you'll have to make arrangements with us to get it repaid, and fulfill them, before we'll give you another card."

Said the nice and professional waySmiley LOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 17
Elcid89
Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Andy77 wrote:

Said the nice and professional waySmiley LOL

Yup. They are constrained by the bankruptcy laws, and follow them. They can't demand payment, but they can mandate repayment as a condition of new business with them as long as you initiated the request.

They have probably the longest memory around. They never forget ... Smiley Happy

Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 14 of 17
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

I thought I had read that if you deposit 10k or 20k with Amex in their Savings account they will give you a card?   I was thinking about depositing 30k with them, but I have a 5 yr old BK and I owe them like 1600 from 14 yrs ago

I would pay all outstanding balances with them and have zero debt

Do you think I might be able to get a card.  I would have as much as 100k to deposit with them if I had to.

I want to re-establish my relationship with them thats why I am asking what my approval chances are if I were to do this

Thank you!

Amex is not really BK friendly, although there have been people who obtained the card with a BK showing on their report. You also have a balance owing to them and that is another factor.

Deposits in their bank are really not taken into consideration. There have been cases where someone would apply for a charge card product and they would be countered offer with a secured card, but that seems to be a pilot program.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 15 of 17
Andy77
Valued Contributor

How I see it is....they have the memory of the lifetime so I KNOW if I want any chance at another card with them, I have to pay the 1600 bucks, no way around it.

I just wish that I know if I deposited a large chunk it would help me out to get approved....but oh well

Message 16 of 17
Elcid89
Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

How I see it is....they have the memory of the lifetime so I KNOW if I want any chance at another card with them, I have to pay the 1600 bucks, no way around it.

I just wish that I know if I deposited a large chunk it would help me out to get approved....but oh well

If you are determined to get another product with them, make arrangements to repay the $1,600. Let it clear, and then apply.

If they still turn you down, you can subsequently broach the subject re: establishing a banking relationship with them, and gauge their response, before you go any further. Best adice I can give.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.