Did you mean: 

Better Balance Rewards Question!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Better Balance Rewards Question!

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

ok so to my surprise I received the $25 credit this quarter. I have a balance of $30.79 so with the credit applied my new balance is $5.79. 

My payment due date is 08/06. 

Can I make a payment today for the full statement balance of $5.79 and would that qualify/count towards the current reward quarter? 

or does the payment have to be made on the due date? or does it not matter if it's paid before?

Any tips on this would be appreciated!

They don't care as long as you pay before it's late; I personally have never waited until the exact due date (I don't like pressing my luck with the calendar). 

In my experience with my two BBRs the only thing I really watch is to make sure that for the month that the $25 reward hits I still have a balance due... as long as that happens, you're golden.  This is really only an issue for someone who only uses the card for Netflix or some other inexpensive recurring payment, since after the $25 credit they might have a credit balance that month, which would mess up the reward for the following quarter. 

Also note that some have reported having really small balances 'forgiven' which will also mess up the reward for the following quarter.

Yeah I used to put like $5 and then that changed to $25 and then the credit cancelled it out to 0 so now i'm just going to put $30 and call it a day haha! Do you have yours set up on Automatic payments? I just have mine pay the full statement balance on the due date, it's either that or as soon as the bill generates.

After all this BBR BS I'm hopeful to not run into anymore issues because I learned the hard way Smiley Happy 

Message 31 of 32
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Better Balance Rewards Question!

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

ok so to my surprise I received the $25 credit this quarter. I have a balance of $30.79 so with the credit applied my new balance is $5.79. 

My payment due date is 08/06. 

Can I make a payment today for the full statement balance of $5.79 and would that qualify/count towards the current reward quarter? 

or does the payment have to be made on the due date? or does it not matter if it's paid before?

Any tips on this would be appreciated!

They don't care as long as you pay before it's late; I personally have never waited until the exact due date (I don't like pressing my luck with the calendar). 

In my experience with my two BBRs the only thing I really watch is to make sure that for the month that the $25 reward hits I still have a balance due... as long as that happens, you're golden.  This is really only an issue for someone who only uses the card for Netflix or some other inexpensive recurring payment, since after the $25 credit they might have a credit balance that month, which would mess up the reward for the following quarter. 

Also note that some have reported having really small balances 'forgiven' which will also mess up the reward for the following quarter.

Yeah I used to put like $5 and then that changed to $25 and then the credit cancelled it out to 0 so now i'm just going to put $30 and call it a day haha! Do you have yours set up on Automatic payments? I just have mine pay the full statement balance on the due date, it's either that or as soon as the bill generates.

After all this BBR BS I'm hopeful to not run into anymore issues because I learned the hard way Smiley Happy 

On my older one I'm finishing up a BT so it's not an issue, but on the newer one I have my dental insurance on it as a recurring charge.  It's $32 each month, and as soon as they send me the email that I have a bill due I send the payment via my checking account bill pay.  I wait on the email notification to make sure I don't pay it early (since this is the one card that needs to report a balance).

I'm possibly 'weird' around here in that I don't have anything set up on auto-pay; I had to claw my way back from the pit of credit despair, so the last thing I want is a technical glitch somewhere to mess up what I've worked so hard to get back.  I figure it also serves to force me to be 'aware' each month of what is coming and going, so to speak.  In the case of the BBR the amount changes each third month (due to the reward credit) which is another reason I feel better dealing with it hands-on.  I know this isn't right for everybody, though, and many likely use auto-pay with no issues (and even prefer it).

Message 32 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.