cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better chance of approval in the store vs applying online?

tag
sr1019
New Contributor

Better chance of approval in the store vs applying online?

I apologize if this has already been answered but couldn't find it when I searched the topic above.

Does it make a difference if you are in the store and apply for the card vs online? Was curious if anyone has applied online then a month later in the store and was approved or at store first then online.

Any experience with the bjs credit card? Thinking of applying for it and I noticed it is issued by Barclays and I got a upromise card by them 3 months ago, would that help or hinder my chances of getting the bjs wholesale card.
Rebuilding Phase- First goal, cross into 700 on all three CR's
As of 2/22/2014- EQ FICO: 684, EX FICO: 696, TU FICO (Walmart): 711
First 700 achieved, two more to go!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MT936
Established Contributor

Re: Better chance of approval in the store vs applying online?

Not sure but I would think the application would be the same in store as online so it shouldn't make a difference
Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 2 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

The only stores that you should really apply in store vs online are Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdales... they are very security sensetive and macy's and bloomingdales if they approve, approve much lower until they can talk to you and take you through an additional verification... additionaly they will only consider you for store card online and if you apply in store they will consider you for the macy's amex, bloomingdales amex at same time.

otherwise I prefer at home because I have the backdoor numbers and usually know far more than the cashiers about possible recon or what not.

Since you are talking about Barclay, to me even more reason to do it at home since you can call backdoor instantly if they have issue that you are only 3 months in on another card of theirs.

Message 3 of 5
core
Valued Contributor

15 or so years ago when I got my Best Buy card, supposedly it was much easier to get approved in the store.  That is, as long as the employee checked off the box that said your photo ID was verified.  If they didn't do it quite right in the computer then you didn't get an advantage.  I am foggy about the details; that was a long time ago.

Message 4 of 5
sr1019
New Contributor

Just didn't know if your approval chances were higher in store, say credit requirements were just a little bit looser due to you being there ready to purchase something.  Just my thinking, lol.  

Rebuilding Phase- First goal, cross into 700 on all three CR's
As of 2/22/2014- EQ FICO: 684, EX FICO: 696, TU FICO (Walmart): 711
First 700 achieved, two more to go!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.