cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better than 3% on Restaurants? 4% on Gas? (suggest a card!)

tag
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

Better than 3% on Restaurants? 4% on Gas? (suggest a card!)

I'm trying to get the cards that compliment my spending the most.

I recently applied for three cards in a row after not having a credit card for several years, and I probably need to cool off for awhile before applying for another one.  I'm not sure which if any I should get to compliment these three cards.  My primary goal is to get as much cash back as I can from my normal purchases (I never really travel, so I don't think airline miles is going to be my thing), my secondary goal is to raise my credit score, but I have no immediate plans for a big purchase so I don't have a particular score in mind or a finite date to reach it.

I just got:

Discover It:  For the rotating 5% categories, particularly Amazon Christmas shopping!  I also got a $75 sign up bonus from Amazon (I realize now that I should have gotten a referal bonus instead since it doubles after the first year, but I didn't know that when I signed up).  I plan to use this card for all "anything else" purchases since the 1% will double at the end of the year.  And use the 5% category whenever I can!

PNC Cashback Rewards:  4% on gas, 3% on restaurants, 2% on groceries, 1% on everything else.  I plan to use this for gas and restaurants.  I didn't see a better gas reward card that wasn't brand specific (I don't have a Costco near me, and I'm not a Sam's club member).  

American Express Blue Preferred:  6% on groceries!  3% on some department stores.  My local grocery also sells $500 Mastercard Gift cards for a $5.95 fee, so I could always buy those if I can't hit the $6,000 spend organically, but I came close to that much grocery spending last year without trying.  

My credit score was 699 according to Discover, and 702 according to PNC when those cards came in the mail.  I'm still waiting on the AMEX to get here.

The only other card on my mind at the moment (to actually use) is a Chase Freedom for the sign up bonus and the rotating categories (which hopefully won't be the same as Discover's).  Any other cards would just be to get a sign up bonus and then not really use anymore unless they can beat what I already have.

My question is, am I missing a card that would give me better than 4% on gas or better than 3% on restaurants?  I know that I can't beat 6% on groceries, and typically the 5% rotating categories are going to be the most you're going to get out of those categories too.  

I just had a sudden realization that I should be earning cash back instead of just using my debit card for these purchases, and kind of jumped in with both feet!  I'm making a game of how much I'll be able to earn in cash back in the first year.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Better than 3% on Restaurants? 4% on Gas? (suggest a card!)

NRA visa for 5% on gas

Message 2 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Sam's Club card also 5% gas but yearly redemptions aren't for all and it being Synch as well turns some people off.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you get the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the value of the points that you earn towards travel increase 50%, even on the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited. So you'd get 2.25% cashback on any purchase with the FU, 4.5% on restaurants and travel, and 7.5% on the rotating categories through the normal Freedom (all same as the Discover except supermarkets are included for one quarter that's arguably better than Discover's home improvement limitation). 

Amex BCP should be the best for groceries, not sure about gas

Message 4 of 8
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

The NRA card gets 5% on sporting goods stores too?  Interesting.. I wonder how many online stores count as sporting goods?  Cabellas and Bass Pro most likely.. but what about Grabagun or Midway or Powder Valley?  I'm going to have to investigate this.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

If you are in the BA PR camp, its 1.75x reward multiplier is huge.  You can get 3% x 1.75 =5.25% on gas and 2% x 1.75 =3.5% on travel and dining.

Message 6 of 8
Kforce
Valued Contributor

You have a 4% gas, so your cashback gain would be your gas $ * 0.01

Unless you drive a whole lot the $ gain would not be worth the lower AAOA,

and inquire.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love my Citi Costco for those categories!!!!  Just for over 2 months, I have over $122 cash back on those categories.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.