cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better to close my secured credit card or later?

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Better to close my secured credit card or later?

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the links guys. I haven't been using my secured card that much lately so maybe score won't be dinged that much.

I'm also STILL an AU on my mom's card which is my oldest credit line. I called last March to take me off as an AU. But only Transunion's credit reports shows the change.

Which should I sever first? My mom's card or my secured card? Her credit score is really good I think because she's pretty thrifty and pays off her charges. But I just finished college and don't really want to be tied to her financially.

That's up to you. Once you are removed as an AU you will lose all that history.

If you close a card in your name it will continue to report and thus help your AAoA and credit length history for generally 10 years after the closing date.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohh. No one has told me that until now.

I've been an AU for about six or seven years. So if cut that off, it's a huge ding to my score?

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in a similar situation. 

I'm an AU w/ on an Amex card since 2008, and that history helps. I will keep that until I can get my own Amex and lock in the 2008 MSD. 

I have a secured capital one, and like you, they will not PC or waive the AF. I'm not sure who your new usecured card is with, but despite some of the capital one feelings on the board, they have been vital in my rebuilding. I was approved for the QS1 about 8 months after regular use on my secured card at 1k, and then w/ credit steps was increased to 4k. 

Personally, I would try for an unsecured capital one card (ie, quicksilver) so that you maintian that relationship and take advantage of credit steps. 

I have recently been approved for a Discover It, and think now I may go ahead and close my secured card. Still havent decided, hence me running into your post on my research. 

Good luck!

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

mRe: Better to close my secured credit card or later?

Can you ask the CSR from Cap1  to PC your secured card? I did that for my unsecured credit card after 3 months of usage (From Platinum to QS). 

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.