cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better to space out new credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Better to space out new credit cards?

@Anonymous wrote:
You should definitely space them out to make sure you can spend and pay to get your bonuses and the limit the number of inquiries to just 1 to 2 per year.

By 1 to 2 inqs he means 45+ Smiley Happy

Message 41 of 112
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Proponent of SPREES, but I must say, the 2 downsides are 1.)fretting over what certain companies will do and 2.)having overlapping 0% APR periods on cards that'll run out around the same time.

I take major hits upfront as far as the score dropping, but get it back around 6 months so don't really mind.
Message 42 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I did.

17 over 8 months.

A lot of lenders get spooked when they see this. I have been declined for credit being too new, opening 6 accounts in 3 months even when several were au's.

Nixon I know you and the DW are focused on the advanced techniques of getting rewards cards on a regular basis and profiting from the ordeal. But the price you pay as you know is having Fico scores waaaaay lower than a person with your history and profile warrants. You'd probably be at 740 across the board without all the file activity.

So really it depends on what a person wants out of their file. If you are overly aggressive with building/rebuilding as many of us on here are (I like to say I am calculatingly aggressive and a piggybacker), then there will be some months where our profiles take a score drop of 30-50 points.

To avoid temporary large score drops and a year of being plagued with a file of double digit credit card inquiries, spacing out accounts is probably the better way to go.

I learned early on that none of this means much unless I use it. What's the point in having great files/scores if you don't put them to use?

Personally, I want the bonus. In order to get the bonus I have to get the card. In order to get the card I have to take a HP. Rinse, repeat.

I thought that way too when my file was thin; and then I would app for card and either get outright denied or crap limits. 

To get to the stage where you could just app for any card (with whatever bonus) and get it, you need to either (a) have a thick, clean file or (b) resort to questionable means advised on other boards and discouraged here. 

Also, we need to qualify what's "putting them to use" means. 

For you, and some others, it could be card churning. For some others, it could be building up a solid profile so that when they really want something (a great card, a car loan, a mortgage) their profile fits in nicely.

Of course, if you're really at it, you could get both - but that means a lot of micromanaging and system gaming and honestly, not everyones up to it.

I don't understand. Smiley Wink

Message 43 of 112
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I did.

17 over 8 months.

A lot of lenders get spooked when they see this. I have been declined for credit being too new, opening 6 accounts in 3 months even when several were au's.

Nixon I know you and the DW are focused on the advanced techniques of getting rewards cards on a regular basis and profiting from the ordeal. But the price you pay as you know is having Fico scores waaaaay lower than a person with your history and profile warrants. You'd probably be at 740 across the board without all the file activity.

So really it depends on what a person wants out of their file. If you are overly aggressive with building/rebuilding as many of us on here are (I like to say I am calculatingly aggressive and a piggybacker), then there will be some months where our profiles take a score drop of 30-50 points.

To avoid temporary large score drops and a year of being plagued with a file of double digit credit card inquiries, spacing out accounts is probably the better way to go.

I learned early on that none of this means much unless I use it. What's the point in having great files/scores if you don't put them to use?

Personally, I want the bonus. In order to get the bonus I have to get the card. In order to get the card I have to take a HP. Rinse, repeat.

I thought that way too when my file was thin; and then I would app for card and either get outright denied or crap limits. 

To get to the stage where you could just app for any card (with whatever bonus) and get it, you need to either (a) have a thick, clean file or (b) resort to questionable means advised on other boards and discouraged here. 

For you, and some others, it could be card churning. For some others, it could be building up a solid profile so that when they really want something (a great card, a car loan, a mortgage) their profile fits in nicely.

Of course, if you're really at it, you could get both - but that means a lot of micromanaging and system gaming and honestly, not everyones up to it.

I know you don't.

On a completely unrelated note, this is one helluva series: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1819509/

Message 44 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I did.

17 over 8 months.

I know you don't.

On a completely unrelated note, this is one helluva series: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1819509/

Oh....

I get it.

I trust in thee. Smiley Wink

Message 45 of 112
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh....

I get it.

You shouldn't really put the inq count in your sig, you know? Smiley Very Happy

Message 46 of 112
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Its better to just app for 20 cards all at once like I did. That way you get it all over with, and they age together, LOL... (don't take my advice)..Smiley Wink
Message 47 of 112
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
Its better to just app for 20 cards all at once like I did. That way you get it all over with, and they age together, LOL... (don't take my advice)..Smiley Wink

I doubt it; good-looking cards are coming up every other week Smiley Tongue Not to forget the FOTM here Smiley Very Happy

Message 48 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh....

I get it.

You shouldn't really put the inq count in your sig, you know? Smiley Very Happy

Why?

Message 49 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't!  10 within a week.  And yes, my scores dropped from mid 700's down to low 700's.  EQ which is the one they seem to pull the most is the mid score and now is at 725 since I had to app for yet another card on Friday.  But all 10 accts will be 6 months old by the weekend!  

Message 50 of 112
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.