cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware the Fraud Alerts & Alliant Rocks!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beware the Fraud Alerts & Alliant Rocks!

Greetings all!

Through patience and endurance  (largely attribute to strength garnered in these forums) I have gotten my first 3K CC line from Alliant!

I asked for 4.5K and they countered with 3K. Alliant's official stated policy is that their application Hard Inquiry on EQ is separate from any credit product pulls with the exception of the signup pre-approvals (Online).

After having my account open for 30 days I gave a shot at a Visa. No Hard Inquiry yet and approved. On joining my EQ FICO was 629. I thought about asking them to do a hard, because my score has since risen to 660 EQ. I opted not to do so as I am pleased with the CL and the lack of a new inquiry.

On another note, regarding Fraud alerts:

My dreadful experience is that Experian placed a Fraud Alert with all 3 bureaus without my knowledge. Subsequent to that I apped for a few products and ALL were denied but Kay Jeweler's (2K) Home Depot (1K) and Macy's ($100). The particular denials were: Nordstrom, Cabelas, Kroger, and Sears(citi).

After burning so many inquiries against EQ (665 at the time), I discovered that there was a fraud alert at EQ, but at this point I had no approvals from EQ pullers. After some calls and letters I got EQ to remove the Fraud Alert. I apped one or two more products and was declined still based on EQ. The first problem is that when Experian sent the Fraud alert to EQ, they omitted my contact info. The fraud alert is supposed to include contact info for the creditor to use in verifying the applicant's identity. THIS INFO WAS MISSING.

To sum things up I contacted EQ's  Fraud Dept. and got a very helpful agent who told me that: WHEN EQ PLACES A FRAUD ALERT, THEY ALSO ADD A PROMOTIONAL BLOCK. FOR INQUIRING CREDITORS THIS SOMETIMES GIVES THE SAME RESULT AS A FRAUD ALERT AND THUS A LOT OF CREDITORS JUST DENY THE APP WITHOUT FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

I just thought it worthwhile to tell all to verify the promotion block is removed if removing a Fraud Alert. Also, I would  assume that if you so much as talk to any of the CB's fraud departments, they will place a FRAUD ALERT across the three bureaus and possibly omit contact info yielding the same result I received.

Thank you ALL!!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Beware the Fraud Alerts & Alliant Rocks!

That's great MF! Would you mind if I ask a couple of questions? I have a savings account with Alliant and would love a CC with them. My scores are at about 650. How did you go about applying for the CC? How did you get them to use your existing credit rather than doing a hard inquiry? Thanks in advance!
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Beware the Fraud Alerts & Alliant Rocks!

Hey! As far as applying, just sign into SkyBranch and on the left you will see loan applications>>consumer. After selecting this a new window will spawn and from there you pick your loan type. They answered the same day for me. As far as getting them to use the same pull, I suppose they opted to do so out of their consciousness of applicant concerns and the fact that my membership pull was very recent. I didn't do anything to prompt such action rather just expected the double pull.

Kindly,

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.