Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware with Amex CSR

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Beware with Amex CSR

Back in May I called in to combine all my american express MRs into one account. One of my accounts that I combined with my blue business card. It went through fine. Skip ahead to today and I am looking at my point balance and I only have like 700 something points in my account. My blue card is supposed to give me 2pts per dollar spent. Now over this time period I have spent around 5k on my business card alone so I should have at least 10k points in my account. I called in to the CSR to ask them what was going on and they indicated that the prior CSR in May disenrolled my business card from the MR program when she consolidated the points even though I never requested that or agreed to that. Basically they turned off all the point earning on a card that I had spent around 5k on. In addition, I had spent a lot more on that card prior to that because the signup offer said I would get a bonus on my first year's worth of spend. So now she has to refer it to the back office for investigation. I'm annoyed to say the least and if Amex tries to screw me after being with them for years I may just close all my accounts with them. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Beware with Amex CSR

Sorry that this happened. It may be difficult to resolve easily since it took you so long to notify them (not that it makes this excusable). Did you speak with a manager or CCP about this? This definitely is going to require the attention of the customer experience ambassador.
Message 2 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Sorry that this happened. It may be difficult to resolve easily since it took you so long to notify them (not that it makes this excusable). Did you speak with a manager or CCP about this? This definitely is going to require the attention of the customer experience ambassador.

I dunno what CCP is. I called the number on the card and spoke with someone and then was transferred to the membership rewards department and she took a report and said they may need to pull my prior call with the CSR. I didn't even know it was possible to opt out of point earning on a specific card and not really sure why someone would voluntarily request such a thing. 

;
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Likely an option strictly for business purposes.  I'd imagine some of them don't allow their employees to earn rewards on business expenses.  

Please keep us updated on what you hear back though.  I hope they take care of you.  I'd likely cut ties with them if they didn't take care you, if I was in your shoes as well.  At least for a little while.  Sometimes, you just need to make a point.  I bet they'll take care of you though.  AX knows what they're doing.  Sounds like a genuine mistake, and a genuine effort to fix it.  So far, anyway...

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like the others said, they should take care of you. Stay on top of them. You shouldn’t have to, but I would. They will make it right.
Message 5 of 24
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@red259wrote:

Back in May I called in to combine all my american express MRs into one account. One of my accounts that I combined with my blue business card. It went through fine. Skip ahead to today and I am looking at my point balance and I only have like 700 something points in my account. My blue card is supposed to give me 2pts per dollar spent. Now over this time period I have spent around 5k on my business card alone so I should have at least 10k points in my account. I called in to the CSR to ask them what was going on and they indicated that the prior CSR in May disenrolled my business card from the MR program when she consolidated the points even though I never requested that or agreed to that. Basically they turned off all the point earning on a card that I had spent around 5k on. In addition, I had spent a lot more on that card prior to that because the signup offer said I would get a bonus on my first year's worth of spend. So now she has to refer it to the back office for investigation. I'm annoyed to say the least and if Amex tries to screw me after being with them for years I may just close all my accounts with them. 

Just curiious, how did you end up with multiple MR accounts? All my MR-earning cards are under one account, as far as I can tell. I thought it was one MR account number per person?

Message 6 of 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@DeeBee78wrote:

@red259wrote:

Just curiious, how did you end up with multiple MR accounts? All my MR-earning cards are under one account, as far as I can tell. I thought it was one MR account number per person?

Normally it is but there have been a few times where when applying for a new MR earning card that a new MR account was created even if you already have one. But I've only heard of Corporate cards mainly being the culprit of this type of situation though that's not to say it has happened other times however rarely it occurs.

Message 7 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

@DeeBee78wrote:

@red259wrote:

Likely it had something to do with some cards being business and others being personal. They are all linked to my amex profile though. ::shrugs::

;
Message 8 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

Just an update to this thread. It has been well over a month and Amex never called me back even though they had told me they be calling me in like a week or two or something. I called into Amex a third time today and was told its still under investigation and to give it a few more weeks Initially the rep told me to wait another 6 weeks. This is all rather absurd and I have found the way Amex handled this to be rather pathetic. 

;
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing to worry about, they’re good at resolving these type of issues if all checks out.
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.