Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beyond frustrated with Capital One

tag
tammyjk
Regular Contributor

Re: Beyond frustrated with Capital One

I have just the opposite problem with them.  I make sure to make my payments before the statement date and leave a small balance as well.  On 5/3 they reported my balance as 5.00 so tonight I made a 50 dollar purchase.  Before I even got home, they had reported the purchase to the credit agencies!  Since I am in the process of buying a home and need all the credit for payments I can get, I will only use them to make a 10 dollar purchase and pay off 5 of it each month.  When I finally close on this home, the card is history!  The 3 points it lowered my score is not that big of a deal but now it's the principle of the matter with me.  And to think I considered upgrading the card as well....NOT.

Message 11 of 17
android01
Valued Contributor

@tammyjk wrote:

I have just the opposite problem with them.  I make sure to make my payments before the statement date and leave a small balance as well.  On 5/3 they reported my balance as 5.00 so tonight I made a 50 dollar purchase.  Before I even got home, they had reported the purchase to the credit agencies!  Since I am in the process of buying a home and need all the credit for payments I can get, I will only use them to make a 10 dollar purchase and pay off 5 of it each month.  When I finally close on this home, the card is history!  The 3 points it lowered my score is not that big of a deal but now it's the principle of the matter with me.  And to think I considered upgrading the card as well....NO

@tammyjk wrote:

I have just the opposite problem with them.  I make sure to make my payments before the statement date and leave a small balance as well.  On 5/3 they reported my balance as 5.00 so tonight I made a 50 dollar purchase.  Before I even got home, they had reported the purchase to the credit agencies!  Since I am in the process of buying a home and need all the credit for payments I can get, I will only use them to make a 10 dollar purchase and pay off 5 of it each month.  When I finally close on this home, the card is history!  The 3 points it lowered my score is not that big of a deal but now it's the principle of the matter with me.  And to think I considered upgrading the card as well....NOT.

That's the first time I've ever heard of "real time" credit reporting.  Smiley Indifferent

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 12 of 17
tammyjk
Regular Contributor

Pretty scarey...the real time update.  But I am very careful to watch my statement dates and sure to have low balances at that time.  But here is the rundown....

05/03  report to all the CB 5.00 balance

on 05/08  make a payment for 5.00

05/09 make a purchase for 33.50

05/13 make a purchase for 50.00....purchase still pending not showing in balance.

05/13 report 50.00 to CB

As of this am my balance is still 33.50 yet they reported 50.00.  I contacted them and they gave me the whole "we report once a month" mantra.  Then I pasted my copy of transunion balances and report dates in the chat.  Finally, the agent said "obviously there has been a mistake".  We will investigate blah blah.  

Bottom line:  If you try to keep your ratios low, don't use Captiol One for anything.  That reporting cost me 3 points on my score, which normally isnt a big deal but that 3 points was getting me a lower interest rate on the mortgage I applied for.  Luckily, I have 3 or 4 more cards that have yet to report this month and hopefully that will bring it back up and then some.  As I said, I will use it once a month for 10 bucks and thats it.  Make my 5 dollar payment and close this account when my mortgage is finished. 

Message 13 of 17
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I had that happen once with Walmart, shortly after I opened my acct., but it only happened the one time. Fortunately they haven't done it again. I also called at the time and got nowhere with cs. I'd suggest that you offer to PIF online and ask them to immediately update your cr, but wouldn't count on the follow-thru with them. You can ask for some kind of instant thing when you're in the process of a mortgage. I can't recall what it's called-- rapid rescore, I think. Maybe that would help.
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is strange, mine reported pretty quickly before my bill was even due. 

Message 15 of 17
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

My Capital One just reported a few days ago, it posted 2 weeks after my second statement. I've had a couple new accounts post after the first statement, but, most seem to post after the second statement.

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 16 of 17
tammyjk
Regular Contributor

Oh this gets even better!  Yesterday I got a letter saying the 50 dollars I charged was in dispute.....Smiley Surprised  So I called customer service and got someone I could hardly understand in Manila.  I ask to be transferred to a US call center.  After about 30 mins the rep concluded that the balance should have been reported as 5.00 not 50.00.  Transunion reported 5.00 right away, Eq. reported 50 as did EX two weeks later.  He thinks it may have just posted at the same time I made my purchase, don't know if I buy that one or not but....It took me over an hour to get the dispute removed.  They said they would correct the CB in 30-90 days LOL.  I reminded the rep that the balance will report, hopefully correctly in 20 days anyway, why bother.  The ding to my credit report remains but I have paid down other balances to overcome that. I hope!

Lesson learned:  ALWAYS ask for a US call center. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.