Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,355
Registered: ‎02-07-2010
0

Re: Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?

i will still use their card; i don't see why i would not favor a card that is still marginally better. i take pride in having it.

EX BankCard 8 FICO 820 (250-900) 04/08/14
TU FICO 806 (350-850) 04/10/14
EX VT 3.0 805 (300-850) TU VT 2.0 891 (501-990)
Credit.com score 798 (300 - 850) TU transrisk 772
card line up here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-Many-Credit-Cards-Do-YOU-have/m-p/1034512#M290859
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 498
Registered: ‎01-29-2009
0

Re: Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?


scottwagnon wrote:

i will still use their card; i don't see why i would not favor a card that is still marginally better. i take pride in having it.


For me what this will do is it will go from my default card to just another card.  I am willing to run the 1% charges through it because of the 25.00 bonus. If they make that a once a year thing.. I think i will go back to my BCP instead. 


Starting Score: 680
Current Score: 761 From 12/11/2013
Goal Score: 800


Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0

Re: Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?


scottwagnon wrote:

i will still use their card; i don't see why i would not favor a card that is still marginally better. i take pride in having it.


Yes, while it is human to think about what used to be, the card can be evaluated on its current merits.  For some people, it's fine, for others the changes mean it is inferior to other choices.  If you have it, with no AF, use it where there isn't a better choice.  If you don't have it, you have to compare its reduced merits to other possibilities, and whether the gain over your existing cards is worth a HP.

 

Take pride in having it?   Really?  It's just a credit card.

Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,617
Registered: ‎02-23-2011
0

Re: Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?


bs6054 wrote:

Take pride in having it?   Really?  It's just a credit card.


For the most part, I couldn't agree with you more.

 

As irrational is this my appear, I have a personal bias for Amex above and beyond just the rewards the card offers.  Perhaps, pride is too strong of a word, but certainly I much rather use my Amex over any other card when all things are equal.

 

My reasoning is a deeply rooted one, but stems mainly from seeing my father use it and my own "multi-faceted" history with Amex since the 90s.  

 

I know, it's really hard to explain.  Eventhough I realize Amex isn't the company it once was (and, it's cards easily attained), I still have fondness for them which I don't have for any other issuer.  

 

So, I suppose I can empathize why someone may have an affinity for US Bank above other issuers. 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,355
Registered: ‎02-07-2010
0

Re: Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?


bs6054 wrote:

scottwagnon wrote:

i will still use their card; i don't see why i would not favor a card that is still marginally better. i take pride in having it.


 

Take pride in having it?   Really?  It's just a credit card.



you have a capital one card with a 30k limit; as conservative as cap one is, if my cap one cash rewards had that limit and a low apr, i would be thrilled. the pride comes from knowing how and when to aquire and succeeding at acquiring something that is most profitable to you and knowing that what you have is not easy to obtain.

EX BankCard 8 FICO 820 (250-900) 04/08/14
TU FICO 806 (350-850) 04/10/14
EX VT 3.0 805 (300-850) TU VT 2.0 891 (501-990)
Credit.com score 798 (300 - 850) TU transrisk 772
card line up here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-Many-Credit-Cards-Do-YOU-have/m-p/1034512#M290859
Established Contributor
Posts: 652
Registered: ‎12-12-2012
0

Re: Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?


scottwagnon wrote:

bs6054 wrote:

scottwagnon wrote:

i will still use their card; i don't see why i would not favor a card that is still marginally better. i take pride in having it.


 

Take pride in having it?   Really?  It's just a credit card.



you have a capital one card with a 30k limit; as conservative as cap one is, if my cap one cash rewards had that limit and a low apr, i would be thrilled. the pride comes from knowing how and when to aquire and succeeding at acquiring something that is most profitable to you and knowing that what you have is not easy to obtain.


I get where you are coming from.  I think it makes sense to take pride in being able to acquire things others can't because you are responsible and savvy.  That's a good feeling.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Contributor
Posts: 130
Registered: ‎11-26-2012
0

Re: Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?

[ Edited ]

I'd take pride in having a high net worth.  Having high credit limits just means an issuer sees you as a good customer and/or a customer they can make money off of.  Not too much pride to be taken in that.

 

This is different than taking a pride in fixing one's credit history.  That I can understand.  But at the same time, one shouldn't confuse a creditor offering credit to you as the creditor being "loyal" or "there for" you.  It's all a busimess, after all.

 

EDIT: And yes it's stilly to complain about this.  Clearly, U.S. Bank was losing money off its existing rewards scheme.  You can't expect them to keep doing that just because you like the card so much.  The new version of the card still looks superior to the other rotating cards anyway.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,355
Registered: ‎02-07-2010
0

Re: Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?

[ Edited ]

nickn86 wrote:

I'd take pride in having a high net worth.  Having high credit limits just means an issuer sees you as a good customer and/or a customer they can make money off of.  Not too much pride to be taken in that.

 

This is different than taking a pride in fixing one's credit history.  That I can understand.  But at the same time, one shouldn't confuse a creditor offering credit to you as the creditor being "loyal" or "there for" you.  It's all a busimess, after all.

 

EDIT: And yes it's stilly to complain about this.  Clearly, U.S. Bank was losing money off its existing rewards scheme.  You can't expect them to keep doing that just because you like the card so much.  The new version of the card still looks superior to the other rotating cards anyway.


i take value in high credit worth to compensate for the fact i have LOW net worth. i would gladly trade in high credit worth for high net worth with LOW credit worth in an instant.

EX BankCard 8 FICO 820 (250-900) 04/08/14
TU FICO 806 (350-850) 04/10/14
EX VT 3.0 805 (300-850) TU VT 2.0 891 (501-990)
Credit.com score 798 (300 - 850) TU transrisk 772
card line up here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-Many-Credit-Cards-Do-YOU-have/m-p/1034512#M290859
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0

Re: Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?


scottwagnon wrote

i take value in high credit worth to compensate for the fact i have LOW net worth. i would gladly trade in high net worth for low credit worth in an instant.


Not quite sure what that last bit means.  It seems to say you would gladly give up net worth and, in return, get a poor credit profile.  Not sure you mean that, but if you do, send me all your money and in return I will tell potential creditors that you are a very bad risk.  Deal?

Established Contributor
Posts: 652
Registered: ‎12-12-2012
0

Re: Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?


scottwagnon wrote:

nickn86 wrote:

I'd take pride in having a high net worth.  Having high credit limits just means an issuer sees you as a good customer and/or a customer they can make money off of.  Not too much pride to be taken in that.

 

This is different than taking a pride in fixing one's credit history.  That I can understand.  But at the same time, one shouldn't confuse a creditor offering credit to you as the creditor being "loyal" or "there for" you.  It's all a busimess, after all.

 

EDIT: And yes it's stilly to complain about this.  Clearly, U.S. Bank was losing money off its existing rewards scheme.  You can't expect them to keep doing that just because you like the card so much.  The new version of the card still looks superior to the other rotating cards anyway.


i take value in high credit worth to compensate for the fact i have LOW net worth. i would gladly trade in high net worth for low credit worth in an instant.


+1.  Folks with high net worth don't necessarily know how to use credit and may not be credit worthy.  I would prefer higher net worth, but I'm proud to have credit to get what I want, whenI need it. I'd rather use other people's money where I can and use my money where I want to.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.