cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?

tag
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Re: Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?

i will still use their card; i don't see why i would not favor a card that is still marginally better. i take pride in having it.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 51 of 71
Woolfman
Established Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

i will still use their card; i don't see why i would not favor a card that is still marginally better. i take pride in having it.

For me what this will do is it will go from my default card to just another card.  I am willing to run the 1% charges through it because of the 25.00 bonus. If they make that a once a year thing.. I think i will go back to my BCP instead. 

Message 52 of 71
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

Yes, while it is human to think about what used to be, the card can be evaluated on its current merits.  For some people, it's fine, for others the changes mean it is inferior to other choices.  If you have it, with no AF, use it where there isn't a better choice.  If you don't have it, you have to compare its reduced merits to other possibilities, and whether the gain over your existing cards is worth a HP.

Take pride in having it?   Really?  It's just a credit card.

Message 53 of 71
Open123
Super Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

For the most part, I couldn't agree with you more.

As irrational is this my appear, I have a personal bias for Amex above and beyond just the rewards the card offers.  Perhaps, pride is too strong of a word, but certainly I much rather use my Amex over any other card when all things are equal.

My reasoning is a deeply rooted one, but stems mainly from seeing my father use it and my own "multi-faceted" history with Amex since the 90s.  

I know, it's really hard to explain.  Eventhough I realize Amex isn't the company it once was (and, it's cards easily attained), I still have fondness for them which I don't have for any other issuer.  

So, I suppose I can empathize why someone may have an affinity for US Bank above other issuers. 

Message 54 of 71
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

you have a capital one card with a 30k limit; as conservative as cap one is, if my cap one cash rewards had that limit and a low apr, i would be thrilled. the pride comes from knowing how and when to aquire and succeeding at acquiring something that is most profitable to you and knowing that what you have is not easy to obtain.

Message 55 of 71
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

you have a capital one card with a 30k limit; as conservative as cap one is, if my cap one cash rewards had that limit and a low apr, i would be thrilled. the pride comes from knowing how and when to aquire and succeeding at acquiring something that is most profitable to you and knowing that what you have is not easy to obtain.

I get where you are coming from.  I think it makes sense to take pride in being able to acquire things others can't because you are responsible and savvy.  That's a good feeling.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 56 of 71
nickn86
Contributor

I'd take pride in having a high net worth.  Having high credit limits just means an issuer sees you as a good customer and/or a customer they can make money off of.  Not too much pride to be taken in that.

This is different than taking a pride in fixing one's credit history.  That I can understand.  But at the same time, one shouldn't confuse a creditor offering credit to you as the creditor being "loyal" or "there for" you.  It's all a busimess, after all.

EDIT: And yes it's stilly to complain about this.  Clearly, U.S. Bank was losing money off its existing rewards scheme.  You can't expect them to keep doing that just because you like the card so much.  The new version of the card still looks superior to the other rotating cards anyway.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 57 of 71
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@nickn86 wrote:

I'd take pride in having a high net worth.  Having high credit limits just means an issuer sees you as a good customer and/or a customer they can make money off of.  Not too much pride to be taken in that.

This is different than taking a pride in fixing one's credit history.  That I can understand.  But at the same time, one shouldn't confuse a creditor offering credit to you as the creditor being "loyal" or "there for" you.  It's all a busimess, after all.

EDIT: And yes it's stilly to complain about this.  Clearly, U.S. Bank was losing money off its existing rewards scheme.  You can't expect them to keep doing that just because you like the card so much.  The new version of the card still looks superior to the other rotating cards anyway.

i take value in high credit worth to compensate for the fact i have LOW net worth. i would gladly trade in high credit worth for high net worth with LOW credit worth in an instant.

Message 58 of 71
bs6054
Valued Contributor

scottwagnon wrote

i take value in high credit worth to compensate for the fact i have LOW net worth. i would gladly trade in high net worth for low credit worth in an instant.

Not quite sure what that last bit means.  It seems to say you would gladly give up net worth and, in return, get a poor credit profile.  Not sure you mean that, but if you do, send me all your money and in return I will tell potential creditors that you are a very bad risk.  Deal?

Message 59 of 71
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

@nickn86 wrote:

i take value in high credit worth to compensate for the fact i have LOW net worth. i would gladly trade in high net worth for low credit worth in an instant.

+1.  Folks with high net worth don't necessarily know how to use credit and may not be credit worthy.  I would prefer higher net worth, but I'm proud to have credit to get what I want, whenI need it. I'd rather use other people's money where I can and use my money where I want to.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 60 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.