Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Chase adjustments...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Big Chase adjustments...

CSP bonus is now 50,000 points with $4,000 spend. 

Freedom is now $150 bonus.  New categories are gas 1st quarter, restaurants 2nd, gas again 3rd and Amazon.com 4th. 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Big Chase adjustments...

@Anonymous wrote:

Freedom is now $150 bonus.  New categories are gas 1st quarter, restaurants 2nd, gas again 3rd and Amazon.com 4th. 

Not too shabby. I was just added to my BF's CSP to get the additional 5,000 points for an AU and to meet the $4k spend for the 40,000 points. Such a beautiful card... cant wait to get and use those rewards though!!

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a link or other source for the 2016 Freedom categories? I was thinking of apping while the $150 bonus is on, but two full quarters of useless gas bonus might be a dealbreaker for me (I'm a public transit kind of guy). And Freedom's gas category only includes gas stations, not ground transit like Discover's, right?

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first quarter is for Gas and Local Commuter Transporation.  No website that I can find.  Just a friend who works there. 

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The first quarter is for Gas and Local Commuter Transporation.  No website that I can find.  Just a friend who works there. 

Appreciated, thanks!

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

And I'm a little bummed that they swapped grocery stores for a 2nd gas quarter. 

Message 6 of 19
willwar14
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.. Will be having DM call in to request the extra 10k UR points! Thanks!!

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 7 of 19
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, what a lack of imagination. I had a feeling groceries wouldn't be back next year.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thelethargicage wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, what a lack of imagination. I had a feeling groceries wouldn't be back next year.

Yeah, if this is accurate and Discover keeps restaurants in Q2 and Amazon in Q4 the way they did this year, the only difference between Freedom and Discover will be in Q3. Very disappointing.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

These quarterly categories are disappointing, but not unsurprising.  It's likely that my Freedom card will never hit my wallet in 2016.

The quarterly categories (not just for Chase) have been getting less useful every year, especially when they overlap (Discover/Freedom/Citi Dividend).  At least through 2015, Chase still has the 10% bonus for checking customers (making it a 1.1%/5.5% card).  That's done as of 12/31/15, so now when there's overlap, Discover is the clear winner.  And doubly so for Q1-Q2, with double Discover cashback making it 10%.  Even save that, I get a bit more, dollar-for-dollar, out of Discover cashback than Freedom.  And for gas, groceries and Amazon (up to the montly $250/$250/$750 caps) SallieMae wins over Freedom year-round.  If Discover doesn't duplicate the 5% restaurants in Q2, then Freedom will get the nod there.  And if Discover doesn't choose gas for Q3, then Freedom might see some use then, if we happen to do a road trip that would put us over the $250.  Other than that, Freedom will remain imprisoned (as it did for most of 2015) in my sock drawer.

Chris.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.