cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Month - Auto and Engagement Ring - Advice needed

tag
FinanceATL

Big Month - Auto and Engagement Ring - Advice needed

This month, I would like to purchase a used Audi A7 with a $50k purchase price and an engagement ring for $18k and have a few questions.  My current debt consists of $24k on my soon-to-be fiance's Mercedes E350 and a $330k mortgage (with over $250k in equity) - credit cards get paid in full each month.   Our combined income (we have merged finances) is approx. $225k.

I had one item marked as in collections (for years that I finally noticed last month) that was a mistake and it was "reported as removed" from my report on May 2, 2014, but it showed up when I bought a report from myfico.com today.  Question:  How long does it take for my credit score/report to update?  As of today, my EX score was 699 - I assume mostly due to the collections because I have otherwise never missed or been late on any payment.  Her credit score is 655 (many college incidents still on reports - working to rebuild).

I have a total of $60k in cash (plus a relatively small trouble/reserve fund).  Questions:  Should I pay off the Mercedes and take a larger loan on the A7?  Where should I start my search for interest rates? 

I am also purchasing an engagement ring this month for a total purchase price of $18k.  While I could pay it off, it would deplete my available cash below a comfortable level.  I was able to secure 18mos interest free financing.  Question:  Should I purchase the car first or the engagement ring first?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Big Month - Auto and Engagement Ring - Advice needed

If you want her to say, "Yes", I'd suggest you buy the ring first.  Smiley Tongue

As for auto loan interest rates, any local credit union could probably fix you up pretty well.

Good luck on both!  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.