Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Starting Limits on Venture One?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Big Starting Limits on Venture One?

@Anonymous wrote:

There are TONS of easier ways to get big limits without succumbing to capital ones triple punch scheme.  Look into a credit union, American Express, or Bank of America.  Citi, maybe.

Request CLIs on all the cap1 cards u have now, and convert/combine them into one product.  Close the others down that are low limit and/or have an annual fee.

What are your scores, inquiries, aaoa, and utilization?

Except the OP has a BK on their profile and may definitely limit the opportunity landscape as far as AmEX, Citi, BOA and definitely a variety of other CUs.

Message 11 of 21
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are TONS of easier ways to get big limits without succumbing to capital ones triple punch scheme.  Look into a credit union, American Express, or Bank of America.  Citi, maybe.

Request CLIs on all the cap1 cards u have now, and convert/combine them into one product.  Close the others down that are low limit and/or have an annual fee.

The triple pull is not ideal, I agree, but realistically, it's also not that big of a deal. Many banks, including Chase and Citi, often double pull EX + EQ anyway, so really, one more pull on a lesser used bureau (TU) is not that big of a deal.

Not saying I'm a huge Capital One fan, far from it, but the triple pull is overhyped. If you aren't applying for cards super often, it's not going to be a big problem.

That said, I agree with the suggestion of consolidating OP's cards.

I do find it a bit funny you are so against a triple pull but are often encouraging people to apply for multiple cards, which would result in more pulls!

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

and before saying "and ditch your AF cards" how about we learn why they have them and the usability they may or may not provide. keep in mind there aren't many "blanket" statements that can be good advice on this site.
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
just to be clear, you're telling OP to not get a triple hard pull with cap1 for a big limit but to get potentially 3 on citi? lol. they usually (usually) double pull for their cards and give you a nice crap limit then you get another hard pull for a usable one. sound advice.

I am never telling anyone to do anything, its just advice, or an opinion, and as always YEMV/YMMV.  I am no expert.

At least with other banks they can give bigger limits, send bt offers more often, and actually offer legit APR reductions...and also allow wiggle room to get an increase before a 6 month timer.  I just feel as though capital one has its limitations. They are great with their rewards, they are easy and no hassle yes.... but they tend to box folks in, encouraging them to apply for multiple, even duplicate products when in all reality they could improve the terms of the current card.  I dont like that the venture locks a person into redeeming only for travel (and yes their definition is more broad than most other banks but still).  And to charge an AF on top of it.

My capital one quicksilver is sitting at a significantly lower limit, is basically locked into 25.24% APR, and that has my opinion biased.  I also do not like that they always triple pull.  I am ok in certain situations where a person could apply and get a venture and/or a quicksilver starting out. Or maybe its all they can get approved for, even a secured card.  And hey if they want to get multiple bonuses then that is their perogative.

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The triple pull is not ideal, I agree, but realistically, it's also not that big of a deal. Many banks, including Chase and Citi, often double pull EX + EQ anyway, so really, one more pull on a lesser used bureau (TU) is not that big of a deal.

Not saying I'm a huge Capital One fan, far from it, but the triple pull is overhyped. If you aren't applying for cards super often, it's not going to be a big problem.

That said, I agree with the suggestion of consolidating OP's cards.

I do find it a bit funny you are so against a triple pull but are often encouraging people to apply for multiple cards, which would result in more pulls!

Based on the amount of inquiries I have, I am starting to realize they do not matter as much.  My personal preference/view is... there is a difference between getting two capital one cards for 3 inquiries and getting 2 amex cards and 2 chase cards for 2 or 3 inquiries.

I view capital one as a last effort.  They are known for sticking with a person through thick and thin, so there is that...good customer service, fast rewards (which I do use from time to time)...  But in this situation where the person already has multiple cards, it just doesn't make sense.  If they did have some negative things from their past and there was no other way, then by all means I would take advantage of cap1.

@Anonymous wrote:
and before saying "and ditch your AF cards" how about we learn why they have them and the usability they may or may not provide. keep in mind there aren't many "blanket" statements that can be good advice on this site.

This is true. It was a knee jerk reaction.  Sometimes these cards help out a persons credit very much! 

Message 14 of 21
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Capital One is hardly the only issuer who "locks people in". By spending on an Amtrack card for example, you are locked in, pretty much, to redeeming towards Amtrack purchases. People who have Hhonors cards, Aadvantage, whatever...you're locked in to the program. This is why so many options exist. One has to decide which system works best for them. 

Now by no means do I think Venture is a great product, as 2% cash back can be had with no annual fee and no restrictions, but it's not like the "locking in" to a certain thing is unique to Capital One. In fairness, though, compared to similar products like Arrival or BOA Travel, at least Venture allows full-value gift card redemption, whereas the latter two give you a poor value for ANYTHING that isn't travel.

I agree that Capital One's refusal to improve terms for people is annoying/unfortunate, but the same thing can be said for Chase. They will never lower one's APR and CLIs are mostly HP. I guess we all have issuers we dislike.

Message 15 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

Capital One is hardly the only issuer who "locks people in". By spending on an Amtrack card for example, you are locked in, pretty much, to redeeming towards Amtrack purchases. People who have Hhonors cards, Aadvantage, whatever...you're locked in to the program. This is why so many options exist. One has to decide which system works best for them. 

Now by no means do I think Venture is a great product, as 2% cash back can be had with no annual fee and no restrictions, but it's not like the "locking in" to a certain thing is unique to Capital One. In fairness, though, compared to similar products like Arrival or BOA Travel, at least Venture allows full-value gift card redemption, whereas the latter two give you a poor value for ANYTHING that isn't travel.

I agree that Capital One's refusal to improve terms for people is annoying/unfortunate, but the same thing can be said for Chase. They will never lower one's APR and CLIs are mostly HP. I guess we all have issuers we dislike.

I agree with KDM, at least in my experience with Capital One dating back to the mid-90's.  I never felt "boxed" or "locked in".  Now, for others who are building or rebuilding, there can be that sticky side of being segmented into a tier or product that has limited growth or other potential, but to an extent.  For instance, Capital One reintroduced their account combination feature (subject to avilability for some) but their overall competitive APRs, high SLs (for those who qualify), 1.5% C/B on QS (and others) is hardly being locked in IMO.

You can definitely find several anecdotal experiences where individuals ditched their previous stagnant Capital One CCs (high APRs, low CLs) in favor of combining with more recent products like QS, Venture, V1; thus growing the combined CL and perhaps a much lower APR.  Not every bank/lender will work for everyone.

That being said, and as I mentioned upthread, the OP's profile has a BK.  Not a deterrent by any means, and while she has been able to rebuild her portfolio, AmEx, Citi, BOA or others would be far out of reach for the time being.  Now the BK is not listed in the OP's signature but has been mentioned in several, and I mean several, of her other threads.

Message 16 of 21
Andy77
Valued Contributor

My venture starting was 20k now 23k

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the advice-- Many points here. #1 Yes triple pulls are kind of annoying, but not annoying enough for me to not apply. #2 I love Cap1 I also don't feel boxed in or anything. They've been great to me #3 One of the reasons for getting a Venture or Venture 1 is the bonus. I apped for both at the same time although their system was down! $600 in travel is gold especially since I work for IHG and get amazing discounts. That's 12 free nights at the Crowne Plaza or IHG. #4 I can't apply for any other good offers from other banks. I burned Citi, BOA, plus I hate Citi. Chase & Amex don't like me because of BK. :-)
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Andy77 wrote:

My venture starting was 20k now 23k

Except they're asking about the Venture One.

Message 19 of 21
ddemari
Super Contributor

I had a prequal for venture and ventureone in 2014, took the ventureone and was approved for 5k. Then in 2015 with similar profile had the same prequals again, this time took venture and was approved at 15k.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.