Did you mean: 

Big score jump, what card now?

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Big score jump, what card now?

@Slab wrote:

@goosedog wrote:

I recently had 2 collections drop off EQ and 2 more im hoping should drop off. I also had 3 dropoff EXPERIAN, so im hoping those raise my credit profile and scores.

As for the OP, why not just hold off on applying for the time being and let your cards grow for 6 more months and hibernate with your credit card calories Smiley Happy

That's not a bad idea to hibernate for awhile and on second thought I might just do that. In 5 mos I will have zero hard inquiries on all 3 CRAs and AAOA will be better. Shoot, I might even hit 750 or better by then. It is sure nice to have a clean file. Not gloating, just excited to be sort of in the drivers seat again.

Yeap waiting is a good idea as well. The sign-up bonuses for prime banks tend to be better as well during holiday season.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 21 of 29
goosedog
Regular Contributor

@Slab wrote:

@goosedog wrote:

I recently had 2 collections drop off EQ and 2 more im hoping should drop off. I also had 3 dropoff EXPERIAN, so im hoping those raise my credit profile and scores.

As for the OP, why not just hold off on applying for the time being and let your cards grow for 6 more months and hibernate with your credit card calories Smiley Happy

That's not a bad idea to hibernate for awhile and on second thought I might just do that. In 5 mos I will have zero hard inquiries on all 3 CRAs and AAOA will be better. Shoot, I might even hit 750 or better by then. It is sure nice to have a clean file. Not gloating, just excited to be sort of in the drivers seat again.

Arent you glad you are apart of this board Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 29
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@Slab wrote:

Thanks for the response. I would probably want a low APR and cash back. I don't carry a balance so I guess a card that might give an opening Credit Line that's significant.

for low APR and more generous starting credit limits, your best bet is to join a credit union.

There are lots of good cashback cards. There's US Bank Cash+ Discover IT, Chase Freedom, Citi Thank You (with the 5X Groceries, Gas & Drug Stores offer in branches), Penfed Rewards, and many others to choose from. What do you spend on most?

Most of my spending is for gas and groceries, nothing big except for an ipad mini I want to get. Instead of paying with cash for my monthly doctors visit, I now charge it and pay it off in a few days.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 23 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

how long has it been since u burned Amex? If you can PIF, you could always try getting 1 of their charge cards to see if you're off their blacklist.

How many inquiries do you have on file? If you don't have a lot right now (i.e 2-3 that's falling off soon), you can app now or later. There won't be much difference in the outcome, and these new inquiries will fall off June 2015 instead of November 2015. Your utilization reported on the CRs are low right?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 24 of 29
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@goosedog wrote:

@Slab wrote:

@goosedog wrote:

Arent you glad you are apart of this board Smiley Happy

I sure am. Everyone is generous with information and help and I would still be stuck in subprime without you good folks. Thise is one of a few forums where everyone is civil to each other.

Message 25 of 29
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:

how long has it been since u burned Amex? If you can PIF, you could always try getting 1 of their charge cards to see if you're off their blacklist.

How many inquiries do you have on file? If you don't have a lot right now (i.e 2-3 that's falling off soon), you can app now or later. There won't be much difference in the outcome, and these new inquiries will fall off June 2015 instead of November 2015. Your utilization reported on the CRs are low right?

Yeah my utilization is 1% on 33k right now. I think it was about 15 years ago that AMEX got burned and I got a letter from them about 3 years ago stating that even though there was nothing they could do as far as collecting on the old card, that debt would have to be cleared up before they would consider extending credit to me again.

Message 26 of 29
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@Slab wrote:

@enharu wrote:

Yeah my utilization is 1% on 33k right now. I think it was about 15 years ago that AMEX got burned and I got a letter from them about 3 years ago stating that even though there was nothing they could do as far as collecting on the old card, that debt would have to be cleared up before they would consider extending credit to me again.

I have no more than 3 inquiries on any of the CRAs. I just looked and they will all be off of FICO in November.

Message 27 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

how much did you burn them for? If it's just a couple hundred bucks or not much in general, you can consider paying them back. Of course, you have to evaluate whether it is worth parting away with that amount of money in order to qualify for Amex.

IMO you could just apply now. Doing it now or in November isn't going to make any difference in approval odds. Your inquiries will fall off earlier in 2015 as well, if that helps.

Message 28 of 29
Ailee92

Few questions you have to ask yourself. Do you want cash back? or do you like to travel? or do you prefer flexibility of points? how do you use them?

If you say you don't travel in your past history, would you travel more if it was cheap/free? I personally never traveled before I found out about credit card points. This summer my trip to Hong Kong in business is only costing me $90 in taxes out of pocket with points alone. Cash back is only good for people who really won't travel in the near future very much, or fly domestically since best travel benefits are international flights. If you have young kids I would probably go cash back route, but if you pick something like Chase Freedom/Sapphire/Ink the points are 1 cent per point always with flexibility of points so it's worth looking into. Although using them for travel is worth much more if you transfer it to their partners like United/Southwest/Hotels etc.

I personally think the most valuable points are Chase, then Amex, then US Bank, Citi Bank in order. How you use them is upto you

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.