Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill Me Later Hard Inquiry without my permission? How to dispute

tag
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

Bill Me Later Hard Inquiry without my permission? How to dispute

I just received an e-mail from Credit Karma that Bill Me Late did a hard inquiry yesterday. I did not do this and have never even heard of this company. Please let me know what are the next steps?

I checked my Experian credit report and it doesn't show on there. Please advise. I already used my other two free reports.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Bill Me Later Hard Inquiry without my permission? How to dispute

Did you try to buy anything and check out using this? If u even clicked on it they could have done an inquiry
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 9
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

I found out my brother used it, but used his social security. No. I did not. This happened before where I applied for a credit card and it went under his name. This is ridiculous! I called TransUnion three months ago to stop getting my brother's credit report confused with mines! Apparently, he used it yesterday.

I am calling Transunion on Monday to dispute this transaction. I dont understand how they can get confused with our social security numbers.

Message 3 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

Do you guys have very similar names? It can be a problem sometimes for siblings or parents/children who have very similar names.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 9
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

Yes, we have very similar names with the same address. Our first name is only two letters apart. My frustration lies in the fact that TransUnion made a note on my account to make sure the confusion doesn't happen again. Frustrating. I can't do nothing but wait until Monday to dispute it. 

Message 5 of 9
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Do you guys have very similar names? It can be a problem sometimes for siblings or parents/children who have very similar names.

So why would this even happen, do you think?  I understand debt collectors running the wrong reports due to similar names (and names and addys), but why with SSNs and apps?

I thought SSN's were suppose to be THE identifier.  Why else are we using our SSNs for apps?

Just curious

Message 6 of 9
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

Which... makes it even more frustrating, in my opinion. The TransUnion agent I spoke to a few months ago said this was rare. I had the same response. What's the point of asking for a SSN?

Message 7 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

I wish I could explain to you why. It just seems to be a common problem amongst all credit bureaus.
Message 8 of 9
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

UPDATE:

So when I first found out about this, I called Bill Me Later and they sent me a notice that they requested it to be taken off by Experian report.

It was never listed on my Experian report, so I had to call in again to have them remove it from "Transunion." They said they do not check TU, but they sent a request in anyways. Credit Karma reported that the hard inquiry has been removed. Working with these companies was a seamingless process. But.. working with Transunion was a joke. They were very difficult.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.