Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill Me Later Tip

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Bill Me Later Tip

@shane82388 wrote:

I just wanted to post this so that there is reference for future searchers looking for info on Bill Me Later.

I originally applied in May 2012 and it was kind of a disaster...I tried applying on check out for a big purchase on B&H photo and all it did was give me an error. I got hit with an inquiry anyway. Looking back now, it was probably because the total price was more than they wanted to approve, but at the time i complained that it was because of a  home adress mismatch and was able to get it taken off my report about 2 months later.

I tried again today Noveber 20, 2012 and did it a little differntly this time. I signed in to my Paypal account and applied that way. My thinking behind this was that there was no purchase for them to consider "too big" resulting in a decline. The idea was simply to not waste an inquiry and get IN with Bill Me Later and then build up my limit, assuming it was going to be low to begin with.

So anyway, i applied through my Paypal account and was instantly approved this time! $1001 limit, which was much more than i was expecting, considering i was declined for that much back in March.

I havnet checked yet but im assuming they pulled my Equifax again and it only had 1 inquiry from May 2011, so pretty old. I have old baddied from over 3 years ago and have added a few accounts and got credit limit increases since the last time trying to apply.

So i think the best way to apply for this is to just apply without trying to make a purchase as the same time so the fact that you arent approved for THAT MUCH, but would otherwise be approved, wont be a problem.

Hopefully this helps someone else out there to not fall in the same situation I happened to find myself in.

Congrats! I remember all of the problems you had back then. Amazing that you got the inq off! Good work. Smiley Happy

You did it the same way that I did. I made an eBay purchase from winning an auction (and gambled that I'd be approved), and apped through the BML/PayPal payment to be sure I'd get the deferred financing. It was a BIG hassle to get my BML acct linked to PayPal. It took a week and several phone calls until I finally talked with a supervisor who knew what she was doing. I hope you get yours linked up easier. Once it's done, though, you don't have to hassle with it again. It's really nice to have the hidden TL and deferred financing offers! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 11 of 16
shane82388
Established Contributor

Got mine linked no problem! Only issue I've had is it takes a full 7 days to reflect a payment in free credit limit balance...grr...
Message 12 of 16
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Don't cancel orders placed with Bill Me Later because it can show pending for up to 30 days from what customer service told me. I had 2 different walmart orders as pending for 23 days. For some reason i've been having a few issues with various vendors that use bill me later getting them to validate my account so i can buy some more stuff.

Message 13 of 16
Bobshur

I love BML,the have great zero interest,for the hell of it I applied and got 2200, I've bought a lot of things including plane tix all at zero percent and they don't show up on cr.the only bad time I had was a purchase at Home Depot that went to my bank account,I took it back and took almost 8 days to get a refund through PayPal .but other than at 2 thumbs up!
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Little tip for everyone and I've tested this with Bill Me Later credit (now PayPal Credit) many times. When your soft CL is maxed out with them the odds of you still getting a purchase approved over that CL (which is how they increase your hard credit line fyi) is to buy the product you want on Ebay.com NOT off Ebay. What I mean is I had like a $200 auto part I needed and tried using my maxed out BML credit line and I got denied when I tried to use it on a parts website.

Then I went to Ebay.com found the part and then got approved for the SAME part that was even a few dollars more that very same day. I've tested this at least three times now and this has been the case. You all should know Ebay owns PayPal/Bill Me Later/PayPal Credit, so its in Ebay's best interest to push you to buy from Ebay sellers that they make a big cut off of. YMMV, but so far with me this has been the case. Moved my soft CL from first $500 CL on 6/2012 up to it's current $1,839 CL with horrible Equifax (When signed up like sub 600 CCT/USAA) credit scores.

They only do a hard pull when you sign up, after that all CLI inquiries are soft pulls forever; I love this line more then any other because the CL and any balance don't show up on any credit reports, so it doesn't effect your credit utilization or scores at all. It's ghost or phantom credit I call it. Smiley Tongue

Message 15 of 16
dize
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Little tip for everyone and I've tested this with Bill Me Later credit (now PayPal Credit) many times. When your soft CL is maxed out with them the odds of you still getting a purchase approved over that CL (which is how they increase your hard credit line fyi) is to buy the product you want on Ebay.com NOT off Ebay. What I mean is I had like a $200 auto part I needed and tried using my maxed out BML credit line and I got denied when I tried to use it on a parts website.

Then I went to Ebay.com found the part and then got approved for the SAME part that was even a few dollars more that very same day. I've tested this at least three times now and this has been the case. You all should know Ebay owns PayPal/Bill Me Later/PayPal Credit, so its in Ebay's best interest to push you to buy from Ebay sellers that they make a big cut off of. YMMV, but so far with me this has been the case. Moved my soft CL from first $500 CL on 6/2012 up to it's current $1,839 CL with horrible Equifax (When signed up like sub 600 CCT/USAA) credit scores.

They only do a hard pull when you sign up, after that all CLI inquiries are soft pulls forever; I love this line more then any other because the CL and any balance don't show up on any credit reports, so it doesn't effect your credit utilization or scores at all. It's ghost or phantom credit I call it. Smiley Tongue

Wow, I've got to say you're 100% right with this, at least in my case as well. I've been wanting to buy an aluminum undertray for my car for a while now, so I decided to test it on that. I've been previously declined on transactions that only go $5-10 over my limit. This transaction just went about $100 over and it approved it! awesome!

Edit: Just raised it another 330, but thats the most they seem to be willing to give me at this time. I'm happy with that!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.