Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill Pay System in Banks/GE Capital

tag
dhon55
Contributor

Bill Pay System in Banks/GE Capital

Hello,

I just set up in my personal checking account's website (through a small, local bank) the Bill Pay accounts for my Amazon (GE Capital) and Walmart Discover (GE Capital) cards.  When it asked for the payee's name, you could type in the name, and although GE Capital was an option, I typed Amazon, which was another option, and Walmart for the Walmart card.  Then I put in the respective card numbers for each entry.  After, it asked for my address, but that was all.

How do I know if this worked?  Does anyone have any similar experiences, or know if I did this wrong?

Thanks!

Goal Scores: 720+ (Experian Lender Pull 09/13): 733; Discover TU (01/14): 751; Walmart TU08 (02/14): 754;
WF Platinum (10/12) $1,600; WM Discover (12/12) $5,500; Amazon GE (12/12) $2,500; CapOne Quicksilver (12/12) $750; Discover IT (01/13) $1,000; Chase Amazon (02/13) $2,500; Citi Forward Student (02/13) $2,000; AMEX BCE (09/13) $15,000
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Re: Bill Pay System in Banks/GE Capital

I prefer to make payments directly on each of my credit cards' website.

Message 2 of 5
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Look at your statement, it should say who do you write the check to. Put that name down on your BillPay.

Also you sure it asked for your address? It supposes to ask biller's address.

IMO skip BillPay, because there is the possibilty that your payment will go to someone else instead (if wrongly setup). Best way would be to make payment directly from lender's website.

Message 3 of 5
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

+1 I like knowing that the paying is going to post correctly and on time. Also, I print out a PDF of the payment confirmation that I save on a file on my hard drive, just so I have proof should there be some kind of computer glitch on their end.

Also, when you pay bills from your bank, you need to take into account timing -- most banks require a couple of days before the payment is due for them to send it, even though it's not being mailed. And if there should be a delay, timing because of weekends, holidays, etc.... Smiley Sad Ultimately the CC will say it's your responsiblity.

But... if you're going to use your bank's online bill pay, be sure you have all of the contact info for the CC and your CC # on the payment. I haven't used my bank's bill pay. But if your CC should recv the pmt without your CC # on it, they won't know where to credit the payment. Again, they will totally put the responsibility on you.

I know many here will push the payment from their bank if for some reason they can't pull it from the CC's website. So, it does work. Just make sure you have all of your bases covered and print out (or make a PDF) the confirmation for your records!

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 5
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Yes, as the above said, you need to double check the "payable to" names/addresses and such. Often, the local bank will have a number you can call and a knowledgeable person will help you set it up. However, that person is only as knowledgable as the information you give them. As a last resort, you can always call the customer service lines on your credit card and see if they can tell you who to make a bill pay payment to.

But if possible, just use the websites for your credit card. So much easier that way.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.