Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill Pay w/Credit Card Do You or Don't You

tag
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bill Pay w/Credit Card Do You or Don't You

Thanks for all of the feedback guys.

I've been giving it some thought, and I just made my first cellphone payment from my CC because I need points to make my plans for the next year not so expensive. I just never thought about paying my carnote or car insurance through it. I doubt I'd be able to pay my student loans through it, cause ya know paying a loan with a loan is a no go, lol. But everything else would be pretty simple.

I guess I was just over thinking it (as I tend to do when it comes to my bills and credit).

EDIT: I probably couldn't pay my carnote with a CC either. Silly me.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 11 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

I literally pay *all* of my bills with a rewards CC. 

My phone, insurance, taxes, utilities and you name it.  It's all with a CC.  I use Serve to send bill pay to bypass some of my service providers charging a fee for using a CC payment.

Message 12 of 43
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I pay my bills through various rewards cc's including subscriptions like Netflix, Hulu.
Message 13 of 43
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

My phone, insurance, taxes, utilities and you name it.  It's all with a CC.  I use Serve to send bill pay to bypass some of my service providers charging a fee for using a CC payment.

What companies will let you use Serve but not a CC? I thought Serve went through the AMEX network so the company would have to accept CC's.

Message 14 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

@GatorGuy wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

What companies will let you use Serve but not a CC? I thought Serve went through the AMEX network so the company would have to accept CC's.

Serve allows you to load funds with a CC without a fee and earn points, and has full bill pay capabilities, like a bank account.  Since my Utility charges a $1.25 fee for using a credit card, I'll just load my Serve with my rewards CC and send a bill pay to them.

It's a full bill pay where you can send a payment or check to anyone or entity.  My Utility company was listed on the search, just as it would be on any bank accounts bill pay feature.

Message 15 of 43
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@GatorGuy wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Serve allows you to load funds with a CC without a fee and earn points, and has full bill pay capabilities, like a bank account.  Since my Utility charges a $1.25 fee for using a credit card, I'll just load my Serve with my rewards CC and send a bill pay to them.

It's a full bill pay where you can send a payment or check to anyone or entity.  My Utility company was listed on the search, just as it would be on any bank accounts bill pay feature.

So with Serve I could link my Amex (or Chase) CC, pay my carnote, gain the rewards, and then just pay my CC bill like normal?

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 16 of 43
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@GatorGuy wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

This why this forum is so great you learn something new everyday.  Do you know if you can pay a Chase auto loan with it?

Message 17 of 43
joshuapd1987
Frequent Contributor

Whoa. Is Serve like bluebird but can be loaded with a credit card?

MyFICO Scores: 720 (EX 10/05) | 718 (EQ 10/05) | 703 (TU 10/05)| | Amex Plat NPSL | Amex PRG NPSL | Amex Business Gold NPSL | Chase Sapphire Preferred 22,000 | Chase Freedom 20,000 | Walmart 15,000 | Amex Delta Reserve 12,900 | Chase Ritz 10,000 | Diner's Club Elite 10,000 | NASA Platinum Rewards 8,800 | Capital One Quicksilver 2,500
Message 18 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

One second, guys.  LOL

Serve is similar to Bluebird (both are offered by Amex), but with some differences.

1.  Serve can be loaded with a credit card through your PC or smart phone.  

2.  Full featured bill pay, just like any bank account - so, you can bill pay a car note, or rent to your landlord.

However, the limitation with CC loading is $250 per month, and $100 per day.  While it is possible, these limitations will relegate Serve to paying Utilities, student loan payments, and small car note.  With a debit card, you can load up to $1,000 per month.

Bluebird can't be loaded by a CC directly, and requires you to purchase "Vanilla reloads" at a supermarket or drugstore, which can be loaded at a Walmart.  I believe you can load up to $10,000?  Bluebird too has full bill pay and check writing capabilities, which if funded, can literally pay anything from a car loan to a mortgage, while allowing you to not only earn points, but profit from the payments with the right rewards card.

In short, there's no reason to pay a "service charge" to any provider for using a CC.

Message 19 of 43
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

One second, guys.  LOL

Serve is similar to Bluebird (both are offered by Amex), but with some differences.

1.  Serve can be loaded with a credit card through your PC or smart phone.  

2.  Full featured bill pay, just like any bank account - so, you can bill pay a car note, or rent to your landlord.

However, the limitation with CC loading is $250 per month, and $100 per day.  While it is possible, these limitations will relegate Serve to paying Utilities, student loan payments, and small car note.  With a debit card, you can load up to $1,000 per month.

Bluebird can't be loaded by a CC directly, and requires you to purchase "Vanilla reloads" at a supermarket or drugstore, which can be loaded at a Walmart.  I believe you can load up to $10,000?  Bluebird too has full bill pay and check writing capabilities, which if funded, can literally pay anything from a car loan to a mortgage, while allowing you to no only earn points, but profit from the payments with the right rewards card.

Thanks for the prompt and concise explanation.

And just so you know, I was about to PM you to tell you to get back the the Bill Pay thread! Smiley Very Happy

Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.