Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill Pay

tag
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

Bill Pay

What is better to use Bill Pay or go to each bank and pay the cards directly from each lenders web page?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bill Pay

Personally I don't use Web Bill pay on anything except installment loans (ie, car payments) that are the same every month.

I vary my spending on different cards, based mostly on rewards, so I never know how much I'll put on a card.  For example, this quarter my Sams club and Amazon spending is on Discover.  Next quarter, that spending will likely be on the CSP.

All credit cards I own I have the app downloaded on my phone and I just pay them off every payday (every other friday).  I PIF unless I have a card with 0% interest, then any balances or large purchases I make I put on that card and just pay it down before the 0% interest is over.

Message 2 of 7
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I always use bill pay.  Developed that habit when I was rebuilding and a lot of "less than prime" lenders wanted to play the payment-hold game...especially when making lots of payments on low limit cards.  Granted, I understand their reasoning as at the time my credit report and score showed that I was a "less than desirable" customer.  So using bill pay rather than paying at the lenders website seemed to help reduce the amount of payment holds I was dealing with at the time as the payment was pushed to them rather than being pulled.  

Message 3 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

I always use bill pay.  Developed that habit when I was rebuilding and a lot of "less than prime" lenders wanted to play the payment-hold game...especially when making lots of payments on low limit cards.  Granted, I understand their reasoning as at the time my credit report and score showed that I was a "less than desirable" customer.  So using bill pay rather than paying at the lenders website seemed to help reduce the amount of payment holds I was dealing with at the time as the payment was pushed to them rather than being pulled.  

I prefer auto pay set up on the issuer website, simply because I feel (but have never tested!) that if the money is in the bank, it is their responsibility to take the payment, whereas if I use bill pay and something goes wrong, I have to work with more parties to try to sort stuff out

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

PUSH method works great with a regular Bank the pull method is better if you are pulling it from credit union checking account. My direct deposit is not with a credit union so deposits at cu dont clear with a weekend in the way. Even cash!

Is also important if you're setting up auto pay for the first time to get your account number right one of my accounts has a long trailing zeros at the beginning and I goofed before.
Message 5 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Loquat wrote:

+1

This is me as well.  Smiley Happy

Perhaps strangly, I do use 'pull' ACH with Amex (i.e. I pay from the Amex site) since they always give instant credit, but with everybody else I keep it simple and push the payment using my bank's bill pay service.  I do have my account info established with many of my creditors, though, for those times where I might need to make a payment at the last minute.  You might say I like having options... LOL.

Message 6 of 7
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

+1

This is me as well.  Smiley Happy

Perhaps strangly, I do use 'pull' ACH with Amex (i.e. I pay from the Amex site) since they always give instant credit, but with everybody else I keep it simple and push the payment using my bank's bill pay service.  I do have my account info established with many of my creditors, though, for those times where I might need to make a payment at the last minute.  You might say I like having options... LOL.

UncleB, same here.  I do have my accounts linked at the lenders website for the *just in case* as most lenders I'm with allow payments to be made up until usually 8pm ET with same day credit/posting whereas BOA bill payment cuts off at like 4pm CST for next day payment.  Thankfully I haven't found myself in a position to do such but I have it in place just in case I do. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.