cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bills credit card and purchases credit card?

tag
mum4519
Contributor

Bills credit card and purchases credit card?

Just trying to get some feedback on something -

I received my new AMEX BCE yesterday and activated it. I want to use this as my primary card to utilize the great cash back program. My current primary card is my Wells Fargo Rewards card. Three of my on they bills only accept VISA/MasterCard while my other ones do accept AMEX. Should I use my VISA to have all my bills go onto and use my AMEX as my everyday spending card? What would you all do? Just trying to keep things simple.

Main bills include:
Verizon, accepts AMEX
COX, accepts AMEX
Netflix, accepts AMEX
Electric, does not accept AMEX
Gas/Water, does not accept AMEX
Car Insurance, does not accept AMEX
- In My Wallet -

AMEX BCE $17,000
Wells Fargo Rewards $9,200
Chase Southwest VISA $5,200
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bills credit card and purchases credit card?

@mum4519 wrote:

I received my new AMEX BCE yesterday and activated it. I want to use this as my primary card to utilize the great cash back program. My current primary card is my Wells Fargo Rewards card. Three of my on they bills only accept VISA/MasterCard while my other ones do accept AMEX. Should I use my VISA to have all my bills go onto and use my AMEX as my everyday spending card? What would you all do? Just trying to keep things simple.

Main bills include:
Verizon, accepts AMEX
COX, accepts AMEX
Netflix, accepts AMEX

I would personally route the bills to the one that will give you the most rewards.  For example.. DH and I have everything going to Amex that possibly can, my insurance agent doesn't accept Amex though, so we have that one bill going to my CashRewards Visa from NFCU

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 9
mum4519
Contributor

That's what I was thinking but I just wanted other reassurances that it was a good idea!
- In My Wallet -

AMEX BCE $17,000
Message 3 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mum4519 wrote:
That's what I was thinking but I just wanted other reassurances that it was a good idea!

The credit card doesn't "care" if it a purchase or a regular bill, so as webhopper says, arrange it to maximize the rewards.   You just need to remember, when planning, that some bills will appear on your credit card in addition to your purchases, so allow for that in utilization concerns...

Message 4 of 9
mum4519
Contributor

Yea, most definitely. I was mostly asking for purposes as to see if people keep all their bills paid on the same card for budgeting purposes. I did set it up though to have everything I could go to AMEX. Much better rewards than the Wells Fargo 1pt/$1!
- In My Wallet -

AMEX BCE $17,000
Message 5 of 9
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

The Amex BCE doesn't give back any more than 1% on any of those bills, correct?

I would look into getting a better card for those types of bills. A US Bank Cash+ would give 5% back on cell phones/internet/cable tv, and with the $25 bonus if you wait to cash out the rewards until you accumulate $100, that makes for an effective 6.25% back.

A second option is the US Bank Business Cash Rewards. 3% back on cellular, gas and office supply stores, 1% everything else, with 25% rewards bonus once a year. So effectively 3.75% cash back on cell phones/internet/cable tv. But its a business card (not the same as the card in my signature)

The Pricelinevisa.com appears to be in the process of removing the version of the card that gives 2% back on all purchases, but I hear the application still mentions 2%. And the Fidelity Amex might also be a possibility for 2% cash back. Signup bonus available.

Capital One Cash Rewards card for excellent credit has no annual fee, 1% plus a yearly 50% bonus, for a total of 1.5% on all purchases. Signup bonus available.

There are other cards with 1% cash back that also have bonuses that bring the cash back up to 1.25% or more. If you opened a savings account at emigrantdirect.com you could get their  Visa card for 1% back, with 25% bonus every month and no annual fee, for 1.25% effective cash back. They have a 50% bonus version with an annual fee. Small signup bonuses for each card.

Are there better options? Anyone?

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@mum4519 wrote:

Main bills include:
Verizon, accepts AMEX
COX, accepts AMEX
Netflix, accepts AMEX

I would personally route the bills to the one that will give you the most rewards.  For example.. DH and I have everything going to Amex that possibly can, my insurance agent doesn't accept Amex though, so we have that one bill going to my CashRewards Visa from NFCU

I route as much as I can to AMEX as well, anything not accepting AMEX goes to either Cap1/Chase.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 9
TM82
Regular Contributor

Put everything on your most rewarding card. Utilize the other cards if they have bonus categories or to meet minimu spend.

I put everything on my Club card outside of the 5x categories on the Freedom.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 8 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

The Amex BCE doesn't give back any more than 1% on any of those bills, correct?

I would look into getting a better card for those types of bills. A US Bank Cash+ would give 5% back on cell phones/internet/cable tv, and with the $25 bonus if you wait to cash out the rewards until you accumulate $100, that makes for an effective 6.25% back.

Cash Plus is 5% for certain only on cell phones.  For some (AT&T?) providers, some internet and cable also appears to be covered, but other mainstream choices, such as Verizon (landline/FioS and probably HSI) and TWC only give 1%

The bonus for $100 is decreased to once per year starting July 1.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.