Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billshark - What does it code as?

tag
psm
Contributor

Billshark - What does it code as?

I used a service through Nerdwallet called Billshark to lower my cable bill. They charge a fee and I am trying to find out what they code as to decide what card to use. Has anyone used them before?

08-2022: EQ 830, TU 834, EX 832 - total credit limit 230,000+
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Billshark - What does it code as?

Tried searching for "Billshark" and "Keen Group" (their corporate name) and found nothing.  I've been meaning to create an MCC wiki online so if you do figure it out, post an update and I'll make it the first entry, lol.

Message 2 of 14
psm
Contributor

I searched the Visa supplier site and did not find anything at their listed addresses. I'll take a chance and pay with my Chase Ink Cash and see what happens. Worst case is I lose the 1% difference i wodl have gotten by using the Fidelity Rewards. 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please report back!  I just set up an MCC database and am going over my own credit card logins to see which banks actually report a category code.  I know US Bank does (you have to download a CSV spreadsheet though, **bleep**) and I assume Amex does but I don't see anything on Discover yet other than the generic "Category" in the transactions list, which I guess is good enough.

Message 4 of 14
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@psm wrote:

I used a service through Nerdwallet called Billshark to lower my cable bill. They charge a fee and I am trying to find out what they code as to decide what card to use. Has anyone used them before?

I just used a similar service (Trim) that managed to get me a monthly $55 credit on my DTV bill for 12 months.  Believe me, I called several times before this and they wouldn't do anything except offer a $5 monthly credit and new equipment (which comes with a 24 month contract).

You might want to look into Trim, first, as they only charge you 25% of your savings, vs Billshark's 40%.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 5 of 14
psm
Contributor

I had already used Billshark when I posted. But I’ll try trim when I do my cell contract next maybe. Thanks for the tip.
Message 6 of 14
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Anything that saves money is okay in my book.  You're still saving overall!

I haven't tried my cell phone contract yet...  But that's do up soon, and I'd prefer not to change carriers, but don't need a new phone.  So it should be interesting to see what it can do for me...

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine was coded "Professional Services"

Message 8 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Codes as his first nameSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which credit card codes it as that?
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.