Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bite the hand that feeds me? BofA

tag
resilient
Established Contributor

Bite the hand that feeds me? BofA

Good morning guys....long story short, I had a BofA secured card with a $500 CL back in 2008 that I used to rebuild credit. I had the Credit Life insurance on it, which paid up to $500 per life event, such as marriage, divorce, college graduation, and PCS. Luckily, I had a new marriage, college graduation, and just joined the Army, so I had a move too. Basically, I could charge up $500, file a claim, and then receive the debt cancellation. Well, I closed my account in 2009. Two weeks ago, as stated in another post, I applied for a Cash Rewards Signature card and was approved for $10k. I get this class action lawsuit against BofA Credit Protection, in which I can receive either $50 or $100. I'm wondering if I sign up as a plaintiff in this class action, can BofA take AA on my new account? I'm thinking that I don't even need the $50-$100 but it's free.......On the other hand, BofA has been good to me (knock on wood) so far and was when I opened my secured card to rebuild......Any thoughts?

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: Bite the hand that feeds me? BofA

It sounds fishy to me. Usually you don't have to OPT into a class action lawsuit. You are usually apart of the suit if you are/were a customer. Normally, you'd have to opt out if you don't want to be apart of it. Have you looked into it?

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 2 of 7
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

if you dont even need the $50 or $100 then why you even posted this? Lol bank of america is the first bank who gave me my first CC too and they have been awesome to me and i been banking with them since 2007. I wouldnt do it specially since you said you dont need it.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 3 of 7
resilient
Established Contributor

I have looked at it, and you're correct. I have three options....opt out, file a claim, or object to the settlement. I'm thinking I'll object, since I basically got the benefits as they were described. Just needed someone to help me make a morally sound decision!

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 4 of 7
resilient
Established Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:
if you dont even need the $50 or $100 then why you even posted this? Lol bank of america is the first bank who gave me my first CC too and they have been awesome to me and i been banking with them since 2007. I wouldnt do it specially since you said you dont need it.

Yea, I won't. I think I'll actually object to it now, so they don't try to AA me.....

Message 5 of 7
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I can not stand these people and would have no problem with taking that money.  If you pay taxes, you are aware that they got billions in tax payer's money right? I have yet to see any of it back. They would not be able to close the card just because you got money in this lawsuit. I do not even know if they would be the ones sending out the money, because it is not always the actual company doing it.

Message 6 of 7
resilient
Established Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I can not stand these people and would have no problem with taking that money.  If you pay taxes, you are aware that they got billions in tax payer's money right? I have yet to see any of it back. They would not be able to close the card just because you got money in this lawsuit. I do not even know if they would be the ones sending out the money, because it is not always the actual company doing it.

I think I will err on the side of safe judgement and not file a claim. I basically got $1500 worth of free things from them, I guess I just asked the question because I knew I wouldn't file a claim, but just wanted to know if anyone knew if they'd know the names list and send it to BofA....

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.