Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bittersweet and Odd Closing of Cap One Secured

tag
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

Bittersweet and Odd Closing of Cap One Secured

So on Monday I phoned Cap One to close my secured card. When the rep asked me why, I stated that I have never received an offer to unsecure the card and, as a secured card, it has zero rewards whatsoever. I also stated that I now ave an AmEx, Discover and Barclays cards with better terms, rewards and unsecured limits. When the rep stated to me that "Capital One values you as a customer and we really hate to see you close your account" I got really excited and felt that they might just imress me. I was actually gearing up for something wonderful to happen. He transferred me to a supervisor who then stated that "I notice that you do a lot of online shopping". I replied "yes that's corect". At that point I was fully expecting them to give me the works. An unsecured card, an increase.  Everything that everyone on these boards have doubted could ever happen. Instead he came back with "you know Capital One offers unsurpassed fraud protection for all of your online purchases."  I was like 'what!'  At that moment I was utterly confused. I said "As do all of my other cards." He then responded "are you still interested in closing your account and losing this very valuable benefit?" I was dumfounded but thought to myself "wow". And replied "Yes, more now than ever. Please proceed with closing this account." Cap One was my first rebuilding card during this process and they have served their purpose and have lost their purpose. Their customer service reps are some of the worst I have ever dealt with. Good riddance is what I now say. So I am now rolling the dice and saying to myself "c'mon Discover and Barclays with those CLI's. C'mon baby, don't let me down."  (edited slightly...was writing from my phone before)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bittersweet and Odd Closing of Cap One Secured

Congrats on the closure! Gotta love those retention departments.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you!!!!

I'm going to be closing both my Crap1 cards I've had about 1 1/2 years 500 and 750CL's both have AF's, which I paid this year (against my better judgement) I figured I'd give Crap1 one more year to offer me something, since my credit scores have gone up about 200 points since I apped for these cards last year.

But I'm going to close the Platinum 500CL card today or tomorrow, hopefully sending them a message, but you know what I think, they could care less.

However, glad to hear you dumped them, good for you!!

Message 3 of 4
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good for you!!!!

I'm going to be closing both my Crap1 cards I've had about 1 1/2 years 500 and 750CL's both have AF's, which I paid this year (against my better judgement) I figured I'd give Crap1 one more year to offer me something, since my credit scores have gone up about 200 points since I apped for these cards last year.

But I'm going to close the Platinum 500CL card today or tomorrow, hopefully sending them a message, but you know what I think, they could care less.

However, glad to hear you dumped them, good for you!!

I couldn't agree more with this.

They dont care since they make a lot of money with a lot of subprime customers by charging high AF's. I sometimes think that;s how Cap One make a lot of their money.

My Cap one has a $60AF and a $500 CL

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.