Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black or Palladium

tag
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Black or Palladium

Here's another topic I wonder about.  If presented with the choice, option of either card, which do you get...The Amex Centurion or JPMorgan Palladium ???

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 1 of 75
74 REPLIES 74
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Black or Palladium

Palladium 

1. it's accepted in more places

2. titanium < palladium  cost is almost $1,000 just for the raw metal to make a Palladium card

3. easier to obtain than having to spend $240,000 in a year just to apply

4. $600 annual fee vs $5,000 when the benefits between Platinum and Black are almost identical just wasted money imo

5. Hand a cashier Palladium or a Black card see which they comment on the most which would be Palladium. Even if you don't know what Palladium is you'll automatically realize it's a super premium card, some people don't even know what a black card is.

6. UR points > MR points, more flexible and better redemption rates with many of it's partners. better rewards mall as well since the devaluation of MR points in their mall.

Don't get me wrong I love Amex, but for me it's a no brainer, it's nice if you hold one just for fun for a Black card, but seriously $5,000 annual fee? no thank you. Atleast with Palladium the cost of the metal alone is almost the same as the annual fee and it's accepted in more places.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 75
enharu
Super Contributor

Isn't the centurion a charge card while the palladium is a revolver?

If I am not wrong, the black card has a little better benefits than the palladium as well.

I will be extremely to get either!
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 75
distantarray
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

If I am not wrong, the black card has a little better benefits than the palladium as well.

if you look the Palladium has more benefits, even if you die over seas they'll pay to bring your body back to the states for a proper funeral.

Message 4 of 75
Open123
Super Contributor

If I were offered both?  

I'd go with the Centurion.  If I'm ever going to spend superfluous money on a credit card, it'd be on Amex.  

Message 5 of 75
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Not for nothing, but if its just looks, the Palladium I'd think would cause more double takes

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 6 of 75
Commandolam
New Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@enharu wrote:

if you look the Palladium has more benefits, even if you die over seas they'll pay to bring your body back to the states for a proper funeral.

Lol, that's a pretty sweet benefit.  Personally, I'd go with the Palladium too just cuz of the smaller annual fee.

Age: 20 | AAoA: 1.1 Years | TU Fico: 725 | EX Fico: 719 | EQ Fico: 693
Last App: 12/09/2013
Message 7 of 75
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:

Not for nothing, but if its just looks, the Palladium I'd think would cause more double takes

my buddy has one, they don't just double take, but if used at a restaurant atleast 20 people are going to touch it before you get it back.

Message 8 of 75
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Commandolam wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@enharu wrote:

Lol, that's a pretty sweet benefit.  Personally, I'd go with the Palladium too just cuz of the smaller annual fee.

lol it is isn't it? a benefit that lasts after your death.

Message 9 of 75
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

Palladium 

1. it's accepted in more places

2. titanium < palladium  cost is almost $1,000 just for the raw metal to make a Palladium card

3. easier to obtain than having to spend $240,000 in a year just to apply

4. $600 annual fee vs $5,000 when the benefits between Platinum and Black are almost identical just wasted money imo

5. Hand a cashier Palladium or a Black card see which they comment on the most which would be Palladium. Even if you don't know what Palladium is you'll automatically realize it's a super premium card, some people don't even know what a black card is.

6. UR points > MR points, more flexible and better redemption rates with many of it's partners. better rewards mall as well since the devaluation of MR points in their mall.

Don't get me wrong I love Amex, but for me it's a no brainer, it's nice if you hold one just for fun for a Black card, but seriously $5,000 annual fee? no thank you. Atleast with Palladium the cost of the metal alone is almost the same as the annual fee and it's accepted in more places.

I read elsewhere that someone who had the Palladium card sent it in to a metallurgist and received the following results from the analysis:

68% copper
28% zinc
3.5% nickel
0.3% palladium

From what I understand, the card weighs one ounce.  Thus, if the above results are correct, the card would contain 0.003 ounces of palladium; the current market value of said metal would be $2.30.  The copper would actually be worth more at $2.39.  Even if the results are a fluke, I highly doubt the Palladium card actually contains any notable amount of the element.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 10 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.