tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Black or Palladium

@Leadberry wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

Palladium 

1. it's accepted in more places

2. titanium < palladium  cost is almost $1,000 just for the raw metal to make a Palladium card

3. easier to obtain than having to spend $240,000 in a year just to apply

4. $600 annual fee vs $5,000 when the benefits between Platinum and Black are almost identical just wasted money imo

5. Hand a cashier Palladium or a Black card see which they comment on the most which would be Palladium. Even if you don't know what Palladium is you'll automatically realize it's a super premium card, some people don't even know what a black card is.

6. UR points > MR points, more flexible and better redemption rates with many of it's partners. better rewards mall as well since the devaluation of MR points in their mall.

Don't get me wrong I love Amex, but for me it's a no brainer, it's nice if you hold one just for fun for a Black card, but seriously $5,000 annual fee? no thank you. Atleast with Palladium the cost of the metal alone is almost the same as the annual fee and it's accepted in more places.

I read elsewhere that someone who had the Palladium card sent it in to a metallurgist and received the following results from the analysis:

68% copper
28% zinc
3.5% nickel
0.3% palladium

From what I understand, the card weighs one ounce.  Thus, if the above results are correct, the card would contain 0.003 ounces of palladium; the current market value of said metal would be $2.30.  The copper would actually be worth more at $2.39.  Even if the results are a fluke, I highly doubt the Palladium card actually contains any notable amount of the element.

http://www.goldmoney.com/palladium-prices.html

$763 an ounce right now at current price, but knowing the value of one, my buddy also had it checked out at a local jeweler, and they confirmed it was Palladium, but regardless of the metal the value of the Palladium card with rewards and benefits greatly exceeds an Amex black in every area besides maybe prestige.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 11 of 75
Mickey11
Regular Contributor

Does anyone know the current reqs for applying for the Palladium? I've read that creating a chase private client relationship is a way in, if I'm correct you need $250k on deposit with them. Anyone able to chime in? This is my number 1 goal card

Starting Score: TU 660 EQ 623 EX 644
Current Score: TU 670 EQ 683 EX ???
Goal Score: 700 on all 3

Freedom: $3k, CSP: $5k, Chase Disney Premier: $5k, AmEx Zync: NPSL, Cap1 NH: $750, Cap1 Plat: $750, USC CU: $500
Message 12 of 75
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Mickey11 wrote:
Does anyone know the current reqs for applying for the Palladium? I've read that creating a chase private client relationship is a way in, if I'm correct you need $250k on deposit with them. Anyone able to chime in? This is my number 1 goal card

last I heard from  a Chase manager atleast 200-250k in liquid assets with Chase and a personal banker

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 13 of 75
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

CPC is the easiest way for people to get the palladium currently. It requires 250k as you've said.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 14 of 75
Open123
Super Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Mickey11 wrote:

last I heard from  a Chase manager atleast 200-250k in liquid assets with Chase and a personal banker

For me, the must have a "personal banker" is already a deal breaker.  

Message 15 of 75
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Leadberry wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

Palladium 

1. it's accepted in more places

2. titanium < palladium  cost is almost $1,000 just for the raw metal to make a Palladium card

3. easier to obtain than having to spend $240,000 in a year just to apply

4. $600 annual fee vs $5,000 when the benefits between Platinum and Black are almost identical just wasted money imo

5. Hand a cashier Palladium or a Black card see which they comment on the most which would be Palladium. Even if you don't know what Palladium is you'll automatically realize it's a super premium card, some people don't even know what a black card is.

6. UR points > MR points, more flexible and better redemption rates with many of it's partners. better rewards mall as well since the devaluation of MR points in their mall.

Don't get me wrong I love Amex, but for me it's a no brainer, it's nice if you hold one just for fun for a Black card, but seriously $5,000 annual fee? no thank you. Atleast with Palladium the cost of the metal alone is almost the same as the annual fee and it's accepted in more places.

I read elsewhere that someone who had the Palladium card sent it in to a metallurgist and received the following results from the analysis:

68% copper
28% zinc
3.5% nickel
0.3% palladium

From what I understand, the card weighs one ounce.  Thus, if the above results are correct, the card would contain 0.003 ounces of palladium; the current market value of said metal would be $2.30.  The copper would actually be worth more at $2.39.  Even if the results are a fluke, I highly doubt the Palladium card actually contains any notable amount of the element.

http://www.goldmoney.com/palladium-prices.html

$763 an ounce right now at current price, but knowing the value of one, my buddy also had it checked out at a local jeweler, and they confirmed it was Palladium, but regardless of the metal the value of the Palladium card with rewards and benefits greatly exceeds an Amex black in every area besides maybe prestige.

Another person's similar results:

"Here is the moment you guys have all been waiting for. I finally got around to putting my company's nuclear metal analysis gun on this card. Put your dreams of selling it for scrap safely away. The breakdown is as follows:

Copper 68.54
Zinc 29.34
Nickel 1.34
Vanadium .491

and .........

Palladium .155

It is still a pretty fun little card although I am still waiting for the concierge team to impress me and I really need this card to start providing status on United as a benefit."

I don't mean to derail the thread, however I believe we can all understand that Chase doesn't rake in billions in profit by minting $1000 cards, and I would definitely take nuclear analysis over a jeweler's inspection.  Smiley Wink

It's still interesting to hear people's opinions on this.  I knew of the Centurion before, but I'd never heard of the Palladium before joining these boards.

P.S. - The calculated value I gave in my previous post was based on the current market value of Pd ($765/oz) x weight (0.003 oz).

FICO Scores 800+
Message 16 of 75
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Mickey11 wrote:

+1

FICO Scores 800+
Message 17 of 75
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: Centurion or Palladium

Why is this thread called "Black or Palladiumwhen we are discussing Centurion or Palladium

They are both hilarious. For one you need to have $250,000 in liquid assets on deposit to qualify. The other you have to spend $250,000 on a lower tier card to get an invite. Talk about contrast. 

Message 18 of 75
enharu
Super Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Mickey11 wrote:

what do you mean by a personal banker? i'm supposed to be paying someone to be my personal banker at chase?

is there a minimum period of time the money has to be in a chase account? does it have to be tied down to a CDO, or a J.P Morgan investment account?

I had >300k as cash in my checking last year for >6 months, and within those 6 months I had >1.5m as cash in the same checking account for about 2months, when i was shopping for my condo. No one from Chase ever offered me the Palladium Smiley Sad

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 19 of 75
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Centurion or Palladium

The Centurian is a great card for people that only travel 4-5 times a year but have enough money to buy the status the Centurian comes with.

Trust me thet centurian has better benefits than the Palladium does, for example Platinum Medallian on Delta.

They're both awesome cards but two completly different ideas, again with the centurian you are just buying status at hotels and airlines.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 20 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.