Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black or Palladium

tag
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Black or Palladium

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the Palladium card and so far I really like it, I especially enjoy having a my investment accounts already at JP and my private banker is exceptional. I have a AMEX platinum, I'm on the fence on the worthiness of going to black. The upfront $7,500.00 fee seems a bit off the chart, plus it has many of the same benefits as the platinum card. I have heard that the $250k spend requirment to qaulify is no longer in effect, and some of the best features first offered by the black have been cut. In my opinion, Palladium is the better option.

It does have many of the same benefits as the Platinum, but they are truely different cards.  The Centurian card is hte only card that will let you buy airline status, and the 250k spending has became more strict.  Now they want you to spend 250k in luxury good and travel, as well as have a high net worth.  The last I heard they were looking for an net worth of 1.3mm to get an invite, as always i'm sure it is changing every day though.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 41 of 75
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

I've read some people have said the platinum and palladium are comparable products, any thoughts on this ???

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 42 of 75
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:
I've read some people have said the platinum and palladium are comparable products, any thoughts on this ???

Does the palladium offer lounge access?  also the platinum comes with SPG gold status and 200$ airline credit.

does the palladium offer anything the platinum doesn't?

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 43 of 75
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

So the only reason to get the palladium over the platinum is the look of the card ??? Lol

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 44 of 75
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Something else I just thought of.  The Palladium has a 595 AF, and the Platinum from Amex is a 450 AF.  Couldn't Amex make a nicer design for the Platinum ???

Message 45 of 75
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:

Something else I just thought of.  The Palladium has a 595 AF, and the Platinum from Amex is a 450 AF.  Couldn't Amex make a nicer design for the Platinum ???

Most people love the design of the platinum.

you also get a 200$ airline credit with the platinum in essence reducing the AF to 250.00 as you can buy airline gift cards and use them for travel.

Message 46 of 75
Open123
Super Contributor

In my view, exclusivity is the only motivation to have either one of these cards, since benefits wise, better deals can be had elsewhere.  In regards to exclusivity and difficulty to acquire, the Centurion wins hands down.

In my normal daily usage, I couldn't care less about how "hard" it is to get a card.  Exclusivity is nice, but it certainly takes a back seat to pragmatism, for me.  I care much more about the benefits of the card, rewards earned, sign up bonus and cost/benefit relationship.  I would hope the card I use the most is freely offered and easily accessible to others, which means merchants must keep accepting the card I derive the most benefit from using.

My favorite type of card is still the Amex charge.  In that it has become easier to attain doesn't detract from the utility of the card, but rather increases it, in my view.  The more people who pays the fee, the more merchants are impressed to take the card from demand and the more benefits I will continue to enjoy.

Win Win for everyone.

Message 47 of 75
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

@ryan I hadn't realized that about the 200 dollar credit, very nice

@open I agree in that I deride more value from earning rewards and such versus exclusivity

Message 48 of 75
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

In my view, exclusivity is the only motivation to have either one of these cards, since benefits wise, better deals can be had elsewhere.  In regards to exclusivity and difficulty to acquire, the Centurion wins hands down.

In my normal daily usage, I couldn't care less about how "hard" it is to get a card.  Exclusivity is nice, but it certainly takes a back seat to pragmatism, for me.  I care much more about the benefits of the card, rewards earned, sign up bonus and cost/benefit relationship.  I would hope the card I use the most is freely offered and easily accessible to others, which means merchants must keep accepting the card I derive the most benefit from using.

My favorite type of card is still the Amex charge.  In that it has become easier to attain doesn't detract from the utility of the card, but rather increases it, in my view.  The more people who pays the fee, the more merchants are impressed to take the card from demand and the more benefits I will continue to enjoy.

Win Win for everyone.

+1, with the note that "those who are impressed by a credit card are those that it is not worth impressing" (although that is mainly said by those of us who can't impress people!)

Message 49 of 75
Alcibiades
Contributor

Having seen both Palladium and Centurion cards, the Palladium is a much more impressive looking and feeling card...

The Palladium gives you two points on travel and lets you revolve a portion of balance (though revolving shouldn't be a huge issue for customers with either card)

Centurion seems to have a lot of cool benefits, but who knows if it is really worth the $2,000 premium over the Platinum

Palladium it is (along with an Amex Platinum or PRG)

Message 50 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.