@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

anyone have the link to apply ?

Message 23 of 191
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Blispay: 2% cashback & 0% interest for 6mo on big purchases

@Anonymous wrote:

If they give out high limits, this card has a very short life expectancy 

The MF effect? Lol among other things!  Not sure of their business model how they plan on making a 2% card along with 0% financing for 6 months work out to be profitable especially if they aren't passing on the cost to the merchant which appears not to be the case from reading on their site to sign up as a merchant.  Granted the 2% is only if they take Blispay otherwise it is a no rewards visa with no special financing correct?

Message 24 of 191
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my reading it seems like 2% cashback regardless.

Message 25 of 191
Anonymous
Not applicable

Presumably this is just for early adopters since they are a start up
Message 26 of 191
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

From my reading it seems like 2% cashback regardless.

+1

My understanding of the participating merchant language is that a "participating merchant" is necessary if you want to apply on your phone and immediately use the credit line on the spot.  It seems to be set up to work similar to a Care Credit transaction, in that a participating merchant can get your account number either from your phone or look it up on a merchant portal if you don't have your card with you, just as a Care Credit 'provider' can do for their card holders.  (This isn't specified for Blispay, but a dedicated merchant portal like Care Credit has would make sense).

The main difference here is the transaction will be processed over the merchant's existing Visa terminal (not a merchant portal like Care Credit) as a keyed/card not present transaction for someone who has just been approved.  Of course once the plastic card is delivered this becomes a moot point, and the account can be used anywhere Visa is accepted (very much unlike Care Credit... LOL).

As for the rewards, this is from the FAQ on the website:

https://blispay.com/faq/#!/#how-does-cash-back-work

blispay.jpg

I admit that even if the MSers don't jump on this with both feet (which they will) I can't see it being sustainable.  I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but if I felt this would be around for the long term I would be interested.  As it is, for someone with my profile it's not wise to open an account just to have it closed if/when the issuer removes it from the market.  If I were established with a thick, strong profile I would likely give it a try.

There are times when I actually like to be wrong... and this is one of them.  I will be rooting for these guys.  Smiley Wink

Message 27 of 191
Anonymous
Not applicable

http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/31/blispay-the-financing-program-for-smbs-raises-12-75m-in-seed-fundin...

^this might help clear up some confusions.

'me no comprende' still though... so is it like citi dc/fidelity visa 2 percenter card then (once you get the physical card)???? *i need a 2 percenter card after my 1 yr with discover.

edit: here's another good read ~ http://www.pymnts.com/news/alternative-financial-services/2016/transactional-credit-comes-to-main-st...

reading the second article confirmed, at least i think so, that it's definitely an alternative to citi dc/fidelity visa 2% card. a worthy one in my book. 

Message 28 of 191
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/31/blispay-the-financing-program-for-smbs-raises-12-75m-in-seed-funding/ 

^this might help clear up some confusions.

'me no comprende' still though... so is it like citi dc/fidelity visa 2 percenter card then (once you get the physical card)???? *i need a 2 percenter card after my 1 yr with discover.

Thanks for that link... that actually answers a couple of the questions I had.

This is the part that really got my attention:

blisspay2.jpg

What that says to me is that the credit lines won't be huge... apparently the idea is for folks to PIF within six months.  Many (if not most) of the folks on here do that anyway, but we've grown accustomed to nice, fat, credit lines since the majority of the public does carry a balance.  So if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly that might be a drawback, at least for myFICO folks. (I admit this is speculation... and again I would love to be wrong.)

The second notable thing I see is that the bank is only the 'middle man'; all transactions are 'owned' by Blispay - not First Electronic Bank.  This would seem to indicate (again, possibly only to me) that Blispay could shut the program down without too much effort.  I know it's common for banks and credit unions to use other institutions to process their transactions (i.e. Elan Financial) but normally the situation is one bank/credit union outsourcing to another, which this is not. 

I'm pleased to see that the people involved have extensive prior experience with this kind of thing, but that only goes so far.  The folks behind Perk Street Financial were also "heavyweights" from the industry, and they ended up closing like a thief in the night (the folks who never got their cash rewards when Perk Street shut down would likely agree with this terminology).

Thanks again for the link... I'm going to continue to look around for more info about this, and I continue to hope they thrive.  Competition is a good thing.  Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 191
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

The 12.5 million seed money is what scares me.. That is very little money.  As from the article they buy back the loan from the bank in a few days time, how much can they buy with 12.5 million?  So it appears the middle man bank has 0 risk or so it seems on how the article was written.  Granted I am sure there is most likely alot more to come possibly.  Just seems ripe to fail and ready to be abused.  I just don't see how they can do 2% and 6 months of 0% financing other than people that carry balances possibly offsetting it..  If Citi can barely make it work by doing 1% and 1% and fidelity being the only other 2% visa's/MC's out there what makes this tiny company any different.  What am I missing?

Message 30 of 191
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.