Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blispay cards offering up to 12-month financing this year

tag
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

Re: Blispay cards offering up to 12-month financing this year

@Anonymous wrote:
Numbers do not lie apparently enough people are blowing it and not paying off stuff quick enough so it is a business model he wants to take elsewhere and do the same thing

People are using the Card not only for the 6 months financing, but also as an Everyday card because of the 2%. 

The only way BP is really making money is off people lapsing the 6 months (5 months if its used as an Everyday card) financing. They knew the only way to get people to use this card for something more than just to carry large purchases for "Free" was to offer some type of Cashback, hence the 2%. I've always said if you try to use BP as both a Financing and Everyday card you will fall into BP trap. It's too difficult for most to keep up with the algorithms to avoid hitting interest.  Which why people said from the beginning its best to use BP just as a Financing "Floater" card and use something else as an Everyday card. 

Message 21 of 31
lokobo
Regular Contributor

I use it as both, finance "floater" and an everyday card, but am careful to not float beyond 4 months (5 at the max)

Trap people might fall into is that after 4 months, your payments go to those interest deferred balances that are older than 4 months old and you'll have to pay monthly interest on any everyday purchases until the 4 month old promo balances are paid off. They don't make that part--how much balance is subject to interest-- clear in the app.

For example I paid my auto insurance premium for the entire year in advance for a slight discount and budgeted to pay it off over 6 months until I read on here what they do after 4 months right before I would have been caught in that trap

Message 22 of 31
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

@lokobo wrote:
I use it as both, finance "floater" and an everyday card, but am careful to not float beyond 4 months (5 at the max)

Trap people might fall into is that after 4 months, your payments go to those interest deferred balances that are older than 4 months old and you'll have to pay monthly interest on any everyday purchases until the 4 month old promo balances are paid off. They don't make that part--how much balance is subject to interest-- clear in the app.

For example I paid my auto insurance premium for the entire year in advance for a slight discount and budgeted to pay it off over 6 months until I read on here what they do after 4 months right before I would have been caught in that trap

You definitely can avoid the Trap, if you know how the game is being played, and are able to stay a step ahead. I'm just saying most people can't keep up with the algorithm to make sure they never pay interest.  BP is banking on this, which is why they dangle that 2% carrot in front of people's face and most will fall into the "Trap"

Think of it like this, if Blispay didn't offer the 2% and they only benefit was the 6 month float, people would only use it for simply that, the Free Float. Hense BP makes no money, the merchant fees are not enough to cover lost interest on the Free Float. They needed an additional "Gimmick" to make this work to their benefit. 

BML/PPCredit doesn't have this problem because there's no middle man (Visa) involved. They control the entire process so they can get away with the 6month Float being the sole benefit of PPCredit. 

BTW - Good JOB, make the card work for you.  

Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good post above.  I agree that the 2% CB on any purchase is something that will indirectly cause people that would otherwise just use the card for the 6 month promo feature to use it more often and thus increase their chances of scoring interest.

Message 24 of 31
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not to be "that guy" but this card seems like it's either doomed to fail, or something crazy going on internally at blispay.

The same model was used successfully when the Blispay founder had previously created BML (now Paypal Credit).  But we'll see...

Isn't PayPal Credit run by the dreaded Synchrony?

Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken (since I have neither product) but my understanding is that the product that used to be Bill Me Later (BML) is Paypal Credit, which is now Comenity. 

Unless I'm mistaken the Paypal Extras credit card (and SmartConnect) are Synchrony products.

Message 25 of 31
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken (since I have neither product) but my understanding is that the product that used to be Bill Me Later (BML) is Paypal Credit, which is now Comenity. 

Unless I'm mistaken the Paypal Extras (and Ebay) credit card (and SmartConnect) are Synchrony products.

Absolutely correct on both Comenity & Synch!

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 26 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

PPcredit is the same. If you float a 400 purchase with several months left, and buy some sneakers on ebay for 93… dumb.. Lol.. Next month you better pay the 93 plus what it says to avoid standard and deferred interest. They lay it out for you on statements perfectly.
Message 27 of 31
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Blackbeauty212 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Numbers do not lie apparently enough people are blowing it and not paying off stuff quick enough so it is a business model he wants to take elsewhere and do the same thing

People are using the Card not only for the 6 months financing, but also as an Everyday card because of the 2%. 

The only way BP is really making money is off people lapsing the 6 months (5 months if its used as an Everyday card) financing. They knew the only way to get people to use this card for something more than just to carry large purchases for "Free" was to offer some type of Cashback, hence the 2%. I've always said if you try to use BP as both a Financing and Everyday card you will fall into BP trap. It's too difficult for most to keep up with the algorithms to avoid hitting interest.  Which why people said from the beginning its best to use BP just as a Financing "Floater" card and use something else as an Everyday card. 

This is exactly it, and which is why I'm not using the card as my daily driver while I have promo purchases.   It's also why everyone can only have one Blispay card.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 28 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

This card started off being a good ideal but a few things that I don't like...When you opt to send your payments whether by check, bank bill pay etc, the lag time on posting which my longest was 14 days from any bank account I sent through, there's a disconnect on the posting which if not careful, two things can happen, a late payment or the payment doesn't post if it's your last one towards a deferred promo in time. (I didn't like the ideal of letting them pull my payments until I got to know their practices better and how long they would be around, I now let them pull the payments. That being said, leads into my other point of concern, if you're really doing a huge purchase aka $700 plus, you better divide up your average payment to a tee for the 5 month mark instead of 6, I caught a huge chuck of interest on a $13 remaining balance cause my payment didn't post until the day after but it showed cleared through my bill pay service a full week before. 

I would not use this as a everyday driver card, the 2% doesn't give a big enough bonus until you're at $250 in, that's when you hit the $5 mark. I don't think the card is doomed to fail and for some that point out that it may be, I think since they are going off the same model as Bill Me Later (PayPal Credit) is what's saving the card, there will be a lot of people like myself that catch that huge interest hitting all at once and lose any benefit that came from the original purchase. I'm leaning more towards using my DC with the 1%/1% and price rewind. At least if I catch an interest charge it's not for a 6 month spread and easier to make large payments and I trust them pulling my payments since they post the pending payment immediately.

Message 29 of 31
Erusidhion
Frequent Contributor

The Walmart Credit Card still offers 6 months for under $299 and 12 months for $299 and above. If they went this route; this would replace a few promotional cards I have like auto repair credit cards. It would probably even replace Home Depot/Lowe's BUT I would probably still keep those cards. At least with Blisplay you could take advantage of the 12 month offer on pretty much any big purchase with 2% cash back. You could probably find some deals to add to that 2% depending on where you shop.

I would be ecstatic if Blisplay offers the 12 month financing. However a lot of big banks like Bank of America, Capital One, local credit unions are killing it these days with balance transfer offers for 18/24 months at like 5% apr or less. The market is getting pretty competitive in the last 12-24 months. Good for all of us MyFICOers.

EQ 654 -- 43 Inquiries
TU 695 -- 54 Inquiries
EX 668 -- 50 Inquiries

Utilization: 9% AAoA: 20 months Total History: 3Y
Updated: 08/04/2017 Premier 3B
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.