Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bloomingdales Credit Card.

tag
Sinarta
Established Member

Bloomingdales Credit Card.

Hi guys, I have a bloomingdales cc that I use to use a lot as I traveled a lot to the Atlanta area. Well now I dont go there as much and I have not used the card since. I received the card in 2006. I am thinking about closing the account as I do not use it anymore and the things on the website is not like shopping in the actual store.

I also do not know my credit limit. The card is just the Bloomingdales premier insider card. I first used the card and spend $400 and so on until I tried to purchase something and I was declined. Well, I checked my credit report and it states that my cl is $300. The thing is when I shopped there, they were months apart from each other so if my cl was $300, I would have been declined a long time ago. Should I close this account or just use it for small purchases online?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bloomingdales Credit Card.

I have the card. You can always check your balance via the toll-free number on the back of the card. They are also open to CLIs with good pmt history. If you go over the CL, they have been flexible (per DW's Macys card, also same ccc) in granting temporary credit extensions.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I closed my 18 year old Bloomingdale's account a few years ago.  If you shop online, you'll have to pay shipping charges and possibly sales tax, unless there is a free shipping promotion available.  You also might be purchasing merchandise that you don't even like, just to have account activity.  If you don't think that your overall available credit will suffer much from a $300 CL loss, then I'd close the account. 
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure I would close it since it has a 18 year credit history on it, but i would see if they would give you a CLl.  Use it for small purchases.  Sometimes they will extend the CL on the intial purchase.  I recently applied for a CC at Menards, was given a $1500 CL but my purchase was for $1650.  They ran the card and I was going to pay cash for the balance, but they told me I didn't have to, that the total was approved at 0% for 6 months.  But, if you look at my credit report it shows a $1500 limit with a high balance of $1650.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Topshelf wrote:
I am not sure I would close it since it has a 18 year credit history on it, but i would see if they would give you a CLl.  Use it for small purchases. 

I still had cards remaining that had long credit histories, so closing Bloomingdale's really didn't hurt me.  At the time, I was doing a little credit card "housecleaning," and cancelled several store and gas cards.  However, I was very careful in selecting which accounts to close. 
Message 5 of 6
Sinarta
Established Member

maybe that is what happened to me. They gave me a temporary increase. I will have to think on whether or not I am going to cancel this card or not. Its just a little confusing to me as when I first got the card, it did not even say what my credit limit was.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.